car insurance

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car insurance

My car insurance is up for renewal. I've had a quote from S@ga which is half the price quoted by my current insurer. Does anyone use S@ga? Are they good?
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Watch out for comparison sites they use similar tricks to airline sites. Things stripped out and then introduced as expensive add ons.

Don't have car now, but I suggest you try Swintons, who are brokers.

Your current company might match Saga quote if you phone them.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
      My car insurance is up for renewal. I've had a quote from S@ga which is half the price quoted by my current insurer. Does anyone use S@ga? Are they good?
      I've used saga for about 5 years. This year I felt their renewal quote was a bit high and found 4 other quotes at half the price.
      Use them but be ready to switch later on.
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^Tis the same with all insurers the will quote low to get your business but at renewal it always goes over the top.

I have been with my company, Hastings Van for some years now and it is always the same. The renewal quote comes through the door at some ridiculous figure, I ring and explain the have one chance to change their mind or I am off, they drop their quote to s reasonable level and I renew.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I switched this year to Admiral who were about half the cost of my previous insurer (Churchill). You only know how good they are when you need them for a claim.

Comment

Unless you have a flash car and need nuanced coverage, all you want insurance for is to provide a lump sum payment and legal expenses cover in the event you have a major accident, you're not going to claim for knocks and scrapes, windscreen etc. as your NCB percentage will decay. So get the cheapest you can and add in legal expenses and protected NCB - simples, as the ad says.

NB: been an insurance broker for more than 30 years, although motor is not my thing, but if anyone out there has a refinery or oil rig they need insuring let me know!
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Changing your insurance company is fine as long as you carefully check what's included and what isn't, such as what is the limit of any legal expenses, what you are actually covered for when travelling, loss of expensive personal items, and any other things for which you may have to pay an excess. Its reputation for service and customer satisfaction is also important. Our car is with NFU and, although it's not the cheapest, it is a Which? Best Buy. Another alternative is to go on-line to your current insurers and get a quote which is usually cheaper for a "new" customer.
              I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

my parents use them, and they have been fine AFAIK (never had a bump). they were however very sniffy about letting me be on my parent's cover (I was some way under the over-50 barrier) - I think that's their niche - anything you like as long as you are over 50

same point as everyone else re pricing over years

whilst I agree that you are in effect buying catastrophe cover, the quality of the office and support you get makes a difference

Comment

Thanks all.
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^^^Tis the same with all insurers the will quote low to get your business but at renewal it always goes over the top.

I have been with my company, Hastings Van for some years now and it is always the same. The renewal quote comes through the door at some ridiculous figure, I ring and explain the have one chance to change their mind or I am off, they drop their quote to s reasonable level and I renew.
                    Thanks for this post Pots. I rang my company, told them I had no intention of renewing at the ridiculous price quoted, and got a revised quote at almost HALF the cost of the original quote. I very nearly didn't renew anyway, simply because of the bare-faced cheek of them rooking the customer for as much as they can get. (But common sense prevailed and I graciously accepted the revised quote )
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Glad for you, goes to prove 'if you don't ask you don't get.

I know what you mean about nearly not renewing, I felt just the same till I realised they all do it.

I've just had a shock I can't get my head round

Last year I sold my euro 4 engine van for a cleaner more fuel efficient euro 6 model the result road tax up from £140 to £250
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Not used S@ga but the advice about shopping about and beating the current quote down is good.
                        Having reached mature years and treated myself to a fairly decent used car I've been with the NFU for several years now. They are not the cheapest but the cover is good and the few dealings I have had (no claims though) have been rapid and easy. It gives me peace of mind knowing any incedent will be relativly hassel free should it occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Glad for you, goes to prove 'if you don't ask you don't get.

I know what you mean about nearly not renewing, I felt just the same till I realised they all do it.

I've just had a shock I can't get my head round

Last year I sold my euro 4 engine van for a cleaner more fuel efficient euro 6 model the result road tax up from £140 to £250...
                          I "liked" your post, Potty, to let you know I'd read it, and not because your road tax has gone up.

Endless wonder.

Comment

Tis the same with all insurers the will quote low to get your business but at renewal it always goes over the top.
                            Just noticed this thread and wanted to share.. got my home insurance renewal a few weeks ago, having been aware it's been rising by an average of £70 for each year I've stayed with the insurer (Direct Line). After five years with them I decided I was probably paying too much and looked around for a better deal. I found a similar level of cover from Churchill for half what DL quoted, first year only of course. Rang DL up to discuss, they claimed they wouldn't match a competitor's price, but could offer a lower figure if I increased my excess. It still didn't come into the ballpark for the Churchill quote, but I decided to stay with DL and accepted the revised offer. Mostly because their's seems to be one of the most comprehensive packages available, you read the small print on some others and they're full of clauses designed to reduce liability. So I saved £250, which I'm happy with. Not a genuine saving if you count the excess bump, but I figure if I ever did need to make a sizeable claim, any excess becomes somewhat irrelevant anyway.

Comment

Direct Line own Churchill
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X