Pepper disaster

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper disaster

Had 20 various peppers plants in polytunnel. 36 hours ago all was fine, now all leaves have curled up really badly and peppers have gone soft. Looks like all are goners. Peppers were not all in the same compost. On the other side of the polytunnel are other peppers that all look fine. Any ideas what’s killed mine so quickly?

Are the leaves dried up or soft and wilted?
    Any sign of pests either on the plannts or in the compost?

Comment

I'm guessing your polytunnel is on your allotment? Can anyone else get into it easily?
      My initial thought is someone has fed them weed killer! But a photo would help to work out the problem with them. There's a good chance it's something less sinister.

Comment

IIRC, its a community polytunnel.

Comment

My guess is too much or not enough water & lack of air flow.
          Really need a piccy of the tunnel and close up of the bad plants.
          Feed the soil, not the plants.
          (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
            My guess is too much or not enough water & lack of air flow.
            Really need a piccy of the tunnel and close up of the bad plants.
            When I posted I had not seen the actual damage!!!, I got a phone call from another allotmenteer. Anyway he decided to water them and remove all the bottom leaves that had gone. When I went down yesterday and today the plants all look ok, but the peppers are softish to the touch. I fed and watered as I do every Sunday. Do you think the peppers will be ok or will softness continue?

Will photo tomorrow.
            Last edited by JMCKG; 22-07-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMCKG View Post
              Had 20 various peppers plants in polytunnel. 36 hours ago all was fine, now all leaves have curled up really badly and peppers have gone soft. Looks like all are goners. Peppers were not all in the same compost. On the other side of the polytunnel are other peppers that all look fine. Any ideas what’s killed mine so quickly?
              When I posted I had not seen the actual damage!!!, I got a phone call from another allotmenteer. Anyway he decided to water them and remove all the bottom leaves that had gone. When I went down yesterday and today the plants all look ok, but the peppers are softish to the touch. I fed and watered as I do every Sunday. Do you think the peppers will be ok or will softness continue?

Will photo tomorrow.
              Do you mean that you hadn't seen the plants when you posted first time and asked for advice??

Comment

Sounds a bit to me like they might have got too hot in the polytunnel and the potting medium has dried up. Sorry to say this, JMCKG, but softness isn't a good sign. Might you do well to harvest the soft ones and freeze/use and leave the plants to put all their energy into any remaining or new fruit?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Do you mean that you hadn't seen the plants when you posted first time and asked for advice??
                  Yes, I know what a numpty
                  The guy I got phone call from is an ok guy, so I took his word as I could not get down to plot due to grand wean sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Sounds a bit to me like they might have got too hot in the polytunnel and the potting medium has dried up. Sorry to say this, JMCKG, but softness isn't a good sign. Might you do well to harvest the soft ones and freeze/use and leave the plants to put all their energy into any remaining or new fruit?
                    You may we’ll be correct. Will have a look again tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, I know what a numpty
                      The guy I got phone call from is an ok guy, so I took his word as I could not get down to plot due to grand wean sitting.
                      Glad it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Comment

Where abouts do you live JMCKG, agree with Snoops they could have overheated if you've had anything like the weather we've been having.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X