Pumpkins?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkins?

Evening all, can anyone take a guess at what i'm growing?Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpkin 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2406459
    These are from saved seed from the halloween pumpkins i grew last yearClick image for larger version

Name:	pumpkin 2.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2406460
    I'm guessing the pumpkins have cross pollinated with something,Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpkin 3.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2406461
    I can't see the grandsons being much impressed with their lanterns this year

What variety were last year’s? We’re they f1 seeds?
    He-Pep!

Comment

As barrio said do you know the variety. F1 varieties don't come true from seed. Squash will cross pollinate so did you also grow any other winter squash, summer squash, courgettes or marrows? They could also have been pollinated by neighbours plants.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

A neighbour gifted me some spare pumpkin plants last year,so don,t know the variety and i have never bothered growing squash or marrows so that'll teach me never to save pumpkin seed.
        I'll pay the 50p for a packet of seed next year
        Thanks for the replies chaps

Comment

Whatever they turn out like, i'm sure the kids will still love carving them!
          He-Pep!

Comment

They'll also most likely be edible. Still eating pumpkin soup from last years pumpkin and they lasted several months whole before I cut them up and froze them.

If you want to save seed you have to put a bag over both a male and female flower which look likely to open at the same time BEFORE they open. Once they open snip off the male and use it to pollinate the female then put the bag straight back on the female flower. Make sure you mark which one was hand pollinated with a bit of wool or something.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X