Cheapest Black Plastic / Weed Suppressing Material

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest Black Plastic / Weed Suppressing Material

I need aprox 8 x 4m of weed suppressant material. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the cheapest online source please?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bad Boy Club; 08-07-2018, 11:59 AM.

Cardboard!!

Comment

That's an awful lot of cardboard

This is not a bad price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4m-Woven-...u4XVGBWTANEfwA

Comment

the one that thelma just put up a link too is what i have just bought and its working well
        The Dude abides.

Comment

If you don't mind what it looks like and can patch it together, try local livestock farms or riding stables - they often use big round bales of haylage which comes wrapped in black or green plastic. If they have large numbers of animals they may have a pile of the wrappings, which they probably burn, and they may be very happy to let you take it away free of charge. The individual sheets of wrapping are thin, but as each bale is wrapped several times the resulting waste plastic is quite thick.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I get the bus to work and whenever I can I grab a pile of free newspaper on both buses plus a pile at the train station if I go through there (depending on which bus I get). Just wet them and lay them out so that they overlap and I also cover with grass clippings.

I use the fabric Thelma linked in the greenhouse - couch grass can get through it, it just pushed a hole through. The plot holder who originally put the raised beds in the New Territories also used it to line the beds. I'm currently digging out the beds to remove the fabric at the bottom as the weeds are putting their roots into it and using it to wick water and survive dry weather.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Thanks for your replies, the ebay link does appear to be the best value so I've ordered that

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                the one that thelma just put up a link too is what i have just bought and its working well
                I just received my order of weed suppressing material

Have you just put this straight onto the grass? If so is it working? I just read that these materials can let in 30% light & best to lay cardboard first, which defeats the object

I want to kill the grass off before I then add manure underneath it ready for next spring

I am using Charles Dowding's method; cover & suppress for a month, then spread manure underneath & leave until next spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X