Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on what I can plant now up a trellis?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on what I can plant now up a trellis?

Hi all,

I have a patio area that I want to screen off with some large planting boxes and trellis.

Ideally I'd like to plant some kind of veg (I understand it's too late too plant peas )

But I'm open to fruit too.

I have a lot of french beans already planted (and some are flowering *whoop whoop* ) so I don't need anymore of these and the planters aren't that deep, maybe only a foot.

I live in South Lincs.

Thanks

So do you want it to cover the trellis NOW or is it something you're planning for next/future years? How big is the trellis?

Peas & Beans are the first things to come to mind - what about runner beans or pea beans?

If you like spicy and peppery things there's Mashua (turnip rooted nasturtium) - all of which is edible and the flowers are attractive. Not sure how Mashua would do in a pot or if you can still get plants for it at this time of year - .

Not sure about things like Malabar Spinach/Indian Spinach - it'll climb but it's probably too late to plant it now. To thrive it needs warmth and sun - how sunny is the location?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

It's something I'm putting in now so I'd like some cover this year but ideally I'd like to be organised enough to plant peas in the future - I thought it was too late this year to plant peas?

The troughs are roughly 5ft by 1ft by 1ft so not that deep.

ETA The patio gets the sun most of the afternoon and evening after about noon.
      Last edited by Principia; 22-06-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Pea beans are a climbing bean similar to French but funkier looking when they're dried https://www.seedparade.co.uk/pea-see...-30-seeds.html

You could just scrape in with some varieties of peas, but not the long climbing beans I think - they seem to need the full season to grow tall. How tall is the trellis?

I'm assuming that there's no way that you can plant anything in the ground - even to the side at one end to be trained over and up. If you could you could look at things like grapes or (VC look away now) self fertile kiwi (or dwarf kiwi). These can be vigorous and need hard pruning so if you're the type of person who cringes when they cut back a plant then these vines are probably not suitable.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

The trellis is 6ft high but no, it's all concrete or slabs I'm afraid so nothing in the ground.

I'm terrible at pruning, I have a grape vine in the greenhouse and I'm so wussy in Feb that I have to continually snip off the tendrils through the growing season. I can't at the moment because there's a blackbird nesting in the greenhouse so it looks like a triffid has set up home.

I like the idea of the pea beans though, I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work this year, well I've lots of time next year, thank you :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X