Newbie help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help

I have just taken on a plot that has been neglected for 2 years. In the process of building a shed and erecting two greenhouses. I am going with raised beds I think I was wondering what is the best way to fill them. They aare going to be 8'x4' beds.

Thanks

Hi Morphious. What to fill raised beds with is one of the most often asked questions - unless you have access to unlimited amounts of free organic matter, it can be an expensive business. Why do you feel you want to have raised beds? Is it an aesthetic thing, an ease of use thing, or a way to increase drainage on soggy ground?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
    He-Pep!

Comment

I got loads of free "soil improver" from my local council tip and added manure and compost along with what soil I could find. Didn't fill them to the top so I add more each year as I go.

Comment

Hi, and thanks.

It's mostly an aesthetic thing. Always seem to look more tidy haha.

My soil seems sandy so drainage wouldn't be a problem I guess.

Comment

What about ‘edged beds’ then? That’s where you have timber surrounds to mark off the beds, but the soil within the bed is at the same level as the paths. You can always then build up the sides as you add more organic matter over time.
          He-Pep!

Comment

Hi Morphious and welcome to the vine.

I grow in raised beds because I prefer doing it that was and it defined the "Do not walk on the bed" areas.

My first raised beds were on a long neglected plot and were just that - raised areas of soil without wood side or edging. The beds became raised over the paths as I dug them over loosening the compact soil and adding some council green waste compost/soil amendment.

On my second plot, which had been worked the previous 2 years, I again raised the beds by digging and adding council compost but I also took some of the soil off the paths (the previous grower used a "big bed" approach) but didn't need edging.

When I moved plots again to my current Jungle plot, it already had a custom defined raised bed area (by custom I mean no 2 beds the same) which, as the wood had deteriorated and was starting to crumble. I replaced the edging with 6" boards to make uniform 8' x 6' beds. The edging was used this time to hold the soil in and to indicate to my family where the paths are as they had a habit of walking over the beds saying "but there's nothing in it" (explaining soil structure or seed drills never worked). Now they are seeing the structure of the soil and how easily weeds and crops come out and are appreciating the soil structure more.

BUT... raised beds aren't the only way. You might want to try a year or two of growing trying out 8x4 bed sizes and big bed growing to see which you will prefer.

As I said I prefer raised beds because I'm more comfortable growing in them. If it's just aesthetic then remember those paths are a haven for weeds so what are you going to do with all that space in between beds? In a big bed garden the space between rows become paths and are covered with a board to spread the weight or are hoes at the same time as the rows so it's all one weeding job.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.

The day I got the plot I took a strimmer down and cleared half the plot of weeds to ground level as my plot it currently split in two as out of control raspberry bushes run the whole width of the plot. Once strimmed, I dug over half of that again, kind of giving me a quaternary of the plot dug over. This I have marked off with string to give me 4 traditional beds. (Hopefully you know what I mean).
              Just so I could see something growing whilst working on the shed, greenhouses and the plot, I planted some cabbage in one, sweetcorn in another and leeks in another (all donated from other plot holders) as I am planning on a 4 year rotation.
              These are not doing well so I assume the nutrient content to be non existent in the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Morphious View Post
                Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.

Just so I could see something growing whilst working on the shed, greenhouses and the plot, I planted some cabbage in one, sweetcorn in another and leeks in another (all donated from other plot holders) as I am planning on a 4 year rotation.
                These are not doing well so I assume the nutrient content to be non existent in the soil.
                Seems like a very sensible approach and a good start in general. I wouldn't assume that fertility is an issue however. You don't give much indication of timescale with your planting but around here at any rate its been a year when timing has been v important in order to get good plant growth, unless you were using artificial watering, the reason being w is that we have had two substantial dry spells and also quite long periods of v heavy rain. As I was able to plant most of my veg in the rainy periods and get on with other stuff in the between ones, and also watered a lot in the dry times like now, my plants are doing pretty well, but it would have been easy enough to have got fails just by putting out seedlings in the dry periods and not watering enough. Also its too early to be able to predict how leeks will do, as they are really a Winter/next Spring crop.

Comment

Ah, I've only had the plot a short time. Maybe a month or so. Cleared and dug over the ground first to plant something to see grow whilst I built the shed from scratch so I didn't get too disheartened. Got the greenhouse frames back up and I shall be leveling off the ground and positioning them shortly. I work shifts on the buses so valuable time at the allotment is 2 or three days at the plot at a time making sure I go and water each day if needed. I wish I knew how to upload pics for you haha.

I measured the plot when I got it and it was 96'x24'. Only treasures I found where rhubarb and a cherry Tree. Other than that it had been stood for nearly 2 years.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X