Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aldi Gardenline Peat-free Compost - Experiences/Opinions?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldi Gardenline Peat-free Compost - Experiences/Opinions?

Hi. I recently picked up a bag of the compost in the title and I don't know if it's just terrible or if my expectations are out of whack. On opening it smelled almost like petrol although that smell has gone away since. More concerning is that it is really dense and mud-like in use rather than crumbly.

I've always just bought whatever economy multi-purpose was easiest and this isn't often peat-free (I know, I know) so I don't know if this texture is common in peat-free or if this is just a very bad example. Has anyone else tried it and have thoughts?

I've used both the Aldi and B&Q peat-free composts and found them similar to each other. There wasn't a petrol smell, but there was lots of twigs and whatnot. As for crumbly, my experience is limited (started gardening this year and only bought these) so I'm not sure how crumbly compost should be. Not as crumbly as the compost used by various YouTubers, but not mud-like either. Except sometimes in small pots, the top of the compost can dry up, whilst the bottom half of the pot is very soggy.. I assumed this was normal.

I also find that sometimes, in containers, the compost can become very hard (completely not crumbly), but the plants don't seem to mind.. I assumed this was because it's peat-free.

Hope these observations are useful!

Comment

I've got through about 4 bags this year (it was the most convenient way for me to get compost). First 3 were all as you'd expect, but the 4th is very heavy and "mud-like" - no smell of petrol though. compacts a lot too, needs a lot of poking and rattling to get it to loosen up. I'm pretty sure it's compost, it's got the trademark "bits of part-rotted wood in it"

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Seems like maybe they switched suppliers at some point. If I'm tempted to by again I think I'll prod the bag a bit and avoid if it's the same consistency. I used it in a large pot for a squash plant and the plant seem to be having a bit of a struggle establishing roots/getting water even though the compost is damp.

Comment

I've bought a lot of compost with both Aldi and Lidl in the past and never come across compost like that. I do get the same hard, dried stuff when I mix in soil from the garden though. Thankfully I get compost that's wasted at work, so I've not had to buy any this year. It can be treacherous trying to find decent compost!
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd mix in coconut coir as a quick fix if I had that problem by the way. That makes it less 'crusty'.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is the difference in density not just dependant on whether the bag has gotten wet recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
                Is the difference in density not just dependant on whether the bag has gotten wet recently?
                It's not the density as much as the texture/consistency. The peat-free stuff doesn't crumble and ends up like a fudge brownie.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X