Feeding Blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Blackcurrants

From what I've read it seems the best way to fertilize Blackcurrant Bush is just with a general purpose fertilizer. Am I wrong in thinking that a freshly planted Bush that has been pruned right down to near soil level, would benefit more from a high nitrogen fertilizer, for maximum Green growth for a better harvest the following year?
    Last edited by Mamsoth; 25-04-2018, 06:21 PM.

Depends really on whether the bush is a large pot grown one or bare root, and also how fertile the soil you have is.

BTW the best fertiliser is stable manure, but unless you know someone with horses, its generally too expensive to be a paying proposition to get it.

Comment

Wood ash was my Dads favourite to top dress currents, I use BF&B myself.

Comment

Our field sec is a bit of a mad scientist type. He mixes his own blends of N:P:K (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium) and has great success with his soft fruit, so I've dug some in to my soil to assist the new blackcurrants and raspberries I planted. He makes me laugh, as being able to supply plotholders with his magic mixture is subject to his wife not being around because he uses her best mixing bowl and needs to get the blending done and get everything washed up and stashed away before she gets home, otherwise she gives him a right earbashing. I'll see if I can get the blend off him.
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful replies. and lol thanks Vince G, I love the idea of this blokes wife getting cross with him for using her special bowl : )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X