Basil leaves curling

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil leaves curling

My basil is finally 'getting on with it' (just about able to pinch a few leaves for cooking) after a frustrating lack of growth for a very long time. Now this pest problem is just what I need!

2 of the plants have their tips curled, I checked and found some tiny insects, they're oblong shaped in dull green and has kind of stripey pattern on them. I suppose I could kill them off by pinching them with my fingers but would be interested to know if there is anything else I could do before the pest multiplies and takes over. For instance would it help if I take the plant indoors? Currently, the basil pot is standing on the window sill (along with potted petunias and geranium) outside the house.
    Food for Free

Hi Veg,

I can't help with your insects but I would bring the plant indoors and put on a sunny window ledge. I have always found it to cold outside for basil to grow well.

Mandy

Comment

A strong spray of water - perhaps with a little soft soap or washing up liquid in it (just a drop!) - might help on the basil. The problem is that the leaves are delicate and bruise easily. Try, but be gentle.

We also only grow basil in the greenhouse and indoors. It is very tender and doesn't like changing temperatures. It has been quite cold at night through August down here (as low as 8 degrees) which they would not be happy about.

Comment

My basil has been happily growing away on the kitchen windowsill for ages now, producing loads of lovely tasty leaves to eat - I would agree, bring it indoors (just watch the watering, mine dry out very quickly).
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I will bring the basil plant indoor and besides it's starting to get quite cold at night.
          Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X