Too late to plant tomato seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to plant tomato seeds?

Hello lovely people! I'm a complete newbie and have just moved home so finally I have a garden!! Sooooo excited!

So I was wondering - is it way too late for me to plant tomato seeds? Should I just get seedlings instead?

Probably just enough time if you are quick but we are in a warmer part of the country.

So depends where in the country you are as the issue will be ripening. If you let us know where you are then someone from that area can advise better than me.

Nothing wrong with starting with plants either you just get less choice of varieties in the local garden center or the diy chains but the tomatoes still taste better than any shop bought ones as they get to ripen on the plant.
    Last edited by Bluenowhere; 20-04-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

You could certainly start some now - in the meantime I'd have an ask around among friends, neighbors etc - anyone who sows their own seeds usually has about 150% more plants than they need at this time of year - I've got about 40 tomato plants with room for about 10 - and that's after giving some away and also selling a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenowhere View Post
        Probably just enough time if you are quick but we are in a warmer part of the country.

So depends where in the country you are as the issue will be ripening. If you let us know where you are then someone from that area can advise better than me.
        Sorry I should have said - I'm in SW London.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
          You could certainly start some now - in the meantime I'd have an ask around among friends, neighbors etc - anyone who sows their own seeds usually has about 150% more plants than they need at this time of year - I've got about 40 tomato plants with room for about 10 - and that's after giving some away and also selling a few.
          Oh that's a great idea - and an opportunity to make friends with the neighbours!

Comment

Hi and welcome.
            Look for a neighbour with a greenhouse!

Comment

Welcome along...
              - I'll probably sow just a couple more tom seeds this weekend...
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I will be sowing my tomatoes tomorrow (for the greenhouse and outside). I find if I do them any earlier I end up with huge plants on the windowsill which get too big to safely move around and transplant. I have been known to knock fruit and flowers off and break main stems when trying to sow them earlier.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by tooughlilpony View Post
                  Sorry I should have said - I'm in SW London.
                  Then you have time for certain to sow seeds. Any more advise just let us know. When you have a few posts more you get to put location in your profile

Comment

Thank you everyone your kind advice! I'm going to plant my seeds tomorrow so fingers crossed

Comment

I won't be planting tom seeds till next week, don't worry well looked after they will catch up on most early sowings.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^^^^ ..Agreed ,slowly, slowly catchee monkey..!!
                        Last edited by geepee; 22-04-2018, 09:43 PM.
                        Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X