Disappearing courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing courgettes

Hmmmm - on Friday I had 3 baby courgettes, 3" long, maybe bit more, thought I'll give them a few more days and have one with dinner on Monday - went to cut them yesterday, vanished! Gone! Disappeared! Anybody know of a pest that will devour the whole fruit and leave not a trace behind?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Your next door neighbour??!!

Comment

Hi,

What ever it is can I have it please Can't seem to find any takers up here for courgettes.

I have had peppers go over night lately, think it is slugs getting into the greenhouse as it is mainly the stem that is left........

Mandy

Comment

Sue, alot of mine have got to 3 inch and then rotted, basically shrivelling up and almost disappearing. So much so in fact that I threw the plant away as I couldn't get one to grow properly and this is after harvesting at least 5 from it.

I think it's lack of nutrients and although they grow easily, I never looked after mine well.

I dont believe it was a pest issue, look at where the join to the fruit and the plant is, should still be there.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Slugs? Guess you'd find slime trails, though. The slugs round are way look glowing and healthy. Reckon they could easily take on a courgette in a night, no probs.

Comment

OH did wonder about our neighbour I must admit! Don't think it's slugs, I'm fairly well protected in that bed (though the ones I have seen skulking around the edges do look very well fed ). Rotting I hadn't thought of - will look again this evening and check for any remains They get a feed every ten days or so, do you think they need more? The leaves seem perfectly healthy and there are lots of flowers, just the baby fruits seem to disappear!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi Moggsue, it could be that they've not been pollinated properly & so are dropping off when they are still small & maybe then being eaten by something on the ground, slugs, snails, woodlice etc. & that's why you've got such contented well-fed slugs!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi, Moggssue, i have a problem, with my courgettes, found some with like teeth marks, as if some thing was eating it , then saw a squirrel, eating away the other day have now covered with netting, my mate had same problem he thought it was mice/rats.
                hope this helps you mick.
                Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

My one and only baby courgette to actually make an appearance was half eaten by a squirrel, and then finished off by a slug. I only know that the slug became involved because I saw the slime trail early evening. By the next morning, no-one would ever have known that a courgette had been there. No trace, no slime - nothing. The entire vanishing act took 1.5 days.

Comment

Squirrels??? Now I never ever would have thought of a squirrel eating a courgette! We do have them around so that may well be the culprit. I now have more growing away, had one with dinner yesterday, so I don't think its a nutrient problem, and they are pretty well hidden by the huge plant leaves - hmmm, netting on the christmas list me thinks. Thanks all, for some very useful and very thought provoking help!

Comment

Sounds like a two legged rat to me !
                      http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                      http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

That was OH thought as well greenlung!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X