late fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late fruit

my stone fruit trees, apricots/peaches/nectarines are all really late flowering due to the stubborn winter hanging around, but now with them blossoming, it looks like it might be a very good, if late, year. as they are under cover I have even rigged a constant water drip supply so that I can leave them to it and get to grips with the jobs the weather prevented me doing earlier in the year, all we need now is a summer..

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
    my stone fruit trees, apricots/peaches/nectarines are all really late flowering due to the stubborn winter hanging around, but now with them blossoming, it looks like it might be a very good, if late, year. as they are under cover I have even rigged a constant water drip supply so that I can leave them to it and get to grips with the jobs the weather prevented me doing earlier in the year, all we need now is a summer..
    As a matter of interest do you hand pollinate this fruit, or rely in Nature to look after that ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      As a matter of interest do you hand pollinate this fruit, or rely in Nature to look after that ?
      Yep, I go round them all with small kiddies brushes, each morning for a week to ten days, the fruit straight off the tree is fabulous to taste, none of the sugars turned to starch by the long transit times to shops..

Comment

Got 'ya - I'm with you on the fruit being better when you have grown it yourself. My main problem is trying to keep all the various birds and other animals off enough of mine to have some left for myself.

Comment

Huh. I have two dwarf plum trees neither of which has anything approaching a blossom or leaf yet. They are relatively new trees so im not sure when they would ‘normally’ blossom. I wish they would get on with it.

Comment

As it is I prefer late flowering, mostly because by then the frost risk is much less, but also the truncated time slot means that the trees which can flower weeks apart some years v often all flower together, which solves a lot of pollination problems - though of course the main requirement is good sunny weather for the bees to get cracking.

Comment

Not a sign of any blossom on the Apricot trees but a few small peaches. Fig tree is full of figs the size of a pea.
              Bob.

Comment

Pear (concord) and plum (Victoria) now in blossom. Apple not going to be too far behind.

Comment

About the same stage here, we'd usually be a week or so later than your area, especially with my site being higher up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X