Transplanting Asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting Asparagus

I know it takes a few years to bed in an asparagus bed, having started one in 2005, but having taken on an extra half plot that has 2 small beds of asparagus I would like to consolidate them into one.

If I take them up when dormant (after cutting back the foiliage in December) and transplant them is this likely to be successful?

Really can't help you there Piglet but good luck with it!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Obviously not from experience, but your logic sounds spot on - after all, dormant bare rooted are sold in the winter and the advice is to spread the bare roots out like a big spider, so root disturbance can't be an issue.

I think you'd have to be prepared for a wait a year or two before cropping for the plants to establish?

Comment

Hi there- we transplanted some of ours Feb 06 when we were making our raised beds. This year they produced a crop but not quite as good as the ones left in situ. Remember ...it was a drought year too....I think you'll be fine- just expect a lightly lower yield next year.( we took loads of soil too and were suprised at the size of the rootball!!)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

thanks all, I will move them but treat them like "new" the following year and only cut a few spears.

Comment

Hi PW. I have read that it is quite difficult to move very established plants but i'm trying to remember whether the time to act is September or March (i'll try and find the book.) If the latter you should leave a few inches of stalk to help locate the crown. soak them while replanting and make sure all is prepared before you start.

It will be a suck em and see thing but I'd be interested in your % success. I don't know that as a rule, in most circumstances, moving a bed is would be my choice: given the wait and effort required I would want to try and guarantee a good result. I might prefer to start again with fresh crowns and bed then grub up the old ones once new bed was producing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X