Heirloom tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heirloom tomatoes

I only grew tomatoes once - cherries in a tiny plastic frame - but would love to grow some really tasty heirlooms.

Any advice on sourcing them, varieties, growing is welcome... Anything different to normal varieties?

Lots of varieties discussed here
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...5-a_86401.html

Lots of varieties to be found here:
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...sts_92072.html
    Last edited by Scarlet; 23-03-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

You might also want to look at Buy quality Vegetable Seeds - The Real Seed Catalogue UK.

Comment

You could join the tomato seed circle & have too many varieties to know what you’re doing,sharing seeds amongst the forum regulars is nice.

Comment

Heirloom varieties have normally been selected for flavour and suitability for traditional uses like drying or preserving. Compared to modern varieties they tend to be lower yielding and more prone to disease. Many of them need a longer growing season before producing fruit. As they are basically less forgiving you need to provide optimal growing conditions, for example not crowding them, consistent watering regime etc. I would recommend asking other gardeners in your area what varieties they grow. Real Seeds is definitely a good company to try as they only sell varieties that have been proven to grow in UK conditions. If you want them for fresh eating some good beginner varieties I’d recommend are Moonglow, Rose de Berne, Costoluto Fiorentino, Bloody Butcher... but everyone has their particular favourites!

Comment

I would definitely go with the seed circle and or VSP option.

If you just want to start with 1 or 2 then have a look at moreveg Tomato A to M - Moreveg

Comment

Thankyou. I should've said our main use would be for eating fresh... salads or just off the plant! I'm sure some could wind up in chutneys or cooking.

I'm particularly fond of cherry/mini tomatoes in terms of shop-bought, but I don't know if these are inherently 'fake' or there are some great varieties out there?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm particularly fond of cherry/mini tomatoes in terms of shop-bought, but I don't know if these are inherently 'fake' or there are some great varieties out there?
                In my experience this is where you will find a great difference in terms of flavour.

Comment

Just growing bog-standard cherry toms last year it was pretty amazing how much more aroma you got, so we're very excited to try. Best get researching, now is the time to be buying seeds right?

Comment

Most folk in the south will have already planted their seeds, me up here, I am still waiting for the propagator to do it's job with the chillies. I will be sowing tomatoes next week hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Just growing bog-standard cherry toms last year it was pretty amazing how much more aroma you got, so we're very excited to try. Best get researching, now is the time to be buying seeds right?
                      Any time is a good time to buy seeds

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      Most folk in the south will have already planted their seeds, me up here, I am still waiting for the propagator to do it's job with the chillies. I will be sowing tomatoes next week hopefully.
                      Like burnie said around now is good for sowing tomatoes.

Comment

How does the seed circle work Norfolk? and what is VSP option?
                        Sorry for butting in , but if you don't ask, you don't get :-)

Comment

Dennyjim, you've been posting in the Tomato Seed Circle and there are others for different types of seeds.
                          The VSP is a "Virtual Seed Parcel" when you can swap, say, one type of tomato seed for another type of tomato . https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...sts_92164.html

All of these seed swaps can only be joined when you've been a member for 3 months and have made 50 posts. A couple more months to be patient!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X