Fire!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire!!!

While at work this morning unhappily spring cleaning upstairs. A man ran into the house to use the phone. Nothing unusual there, as the builders are in and out all the time getting tools, having tea breaks, using the phone. My interest was raised when the phrase "there's a hill fire behind the house" was used and realised he had phoned 999. So obviously the first thing I do is go to the nearest window to have a look. Couldn't see anything. When he finished on the phone I offered to give him a hand to put it out / control it a bit till the fire brigade arrived.
    So up the hill we when with what ever we could get our hands on to beat it out. I pinched a shovel from the builders ( who didn't come and help ). We worked flipping hard but it was very soon well out of control. We carried on helping when the two fire crews got there.
    This is what a bit of it looked like just after we'd put it out ( it's a bit rude to stop and take pictures when The flames are still burning )

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2405657

Bob took the picture, because he stopped and helped when he was driving past and saw what was going on. I was farther round to the right and not quite so high up.
    We didn't do anymore Spring cleaning today...........knackered!

How did it start SP?

Comment

View looks stunning

Comment

What a beautiful spot.

Is there still stubble left protecting the surface? If not, I hope you don't get any heavy rains.

Comment

Well Done, Fire(wo)man Pumpkin.
          Must have been a bit scary.

Comment

Good job that the caught it.

Well done to the Firemen

Comment

Well done you! And what a beautiful place you live in. It will be interesting to see what flora you get where the rest has been burnt off.

Comment

Well done SP and the other man
                Yes, agree with everyone about your lovely view
                Nannys make memories

Comment

gosh! Well done you!

I can't see the photo in detail, is it heather or gorse or suchlike on the hills?

I hope you will put the Curse of the Scots on the builders for not helping...

Noting like as dramatic, but I was once in a meeting where I had to interrupt it as I could see a fire break out in a nearby property and had to ask the chairman if he would mind awfully calling the fire brigade...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    How did it start SP?
                    It jump from a bonfire someone was having.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Well Done, Fire(wo)man Pumpkin.
                      Must have been a bit scary.
                      It had its moments! I had to step back and just watch it go a couple of times.
                      I've breathed in a little to much smoke for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                        gosh! Well done you!

I can't see the photo in detail, is it heather or gorse or suchlike on the hills?

I hope you will put the Curse of the Scots on the builders for not helping...

Noting like as dramatic, but I was once in a meeting where I had to interrupt it as I could see a fire break out in a nearby property and had to ask the chairman if he would mind awfully calling the fire brigade...
                        Mostly grasses and bracken. If you think dry grass & bracken burns well! You should see the rhododendrons go!! That's when it really got exciting

I do like the idea of the curse of the scots

Comment

"Well Done" that girl!

Puw, Puw, Barny, Mcgrew, Cuthburt, Dibble n Grub just sprung to mind

And like others have said, that really, really is a spectacular view!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

You have saved a beautiful place being terribly scarred. Well done SP.

I hope the builders get big, painful splinters in their nethers.

P.S do you need a lodger who sings to chickens, gets seasick and can’t grow beetroot. If so........
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Good grief!...not a nice experience!

It's really strange for a fire to take hold after all this wet, cold, soggy weather we've had recently...or did you miss out on that?

Well done .
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X