Passion fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passion fruit

Has anyone here grown edible passion fruit successfully? I would love to grow it as I’m a big fan of it. Does it taste as good as those bought in the shops from warmer climates?I love to smother it over ice cream in summer

I have a south west facing fence I would grow it on.

Snadger has - I think!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...uit_59368.html

Comment

Years ago I managed to get an edulis to fruit indoors.

Have currently two plants indoors and several in greenhouse which are kept at 40F. These were grown from seeds from fruit. Fingers crossed for fruit but even flowers will be worth it.

May plant some spares outside but will keep at least a couple indoors over winter. RHS lumps it with others and gives min 10C BUT per Vanderplank (keeper of UK Nat Colln) it will tolerate periods of 5-13C and slight frost of -2.5C for short periods.
      Last edited by DannyK; 20-01-2018, 05:21 PM.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Mine is in a large pot and trained against the front of my summerhouse. I think the frost may have done for it, but I'll see what happens in the spring.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Snadger, it’s the edible .edu like s I want to grow and coincidently, I will be growing against long fence at the side of a greenhouse in large pot. I take it you left it out all winter to get it bitten by frost? Would it be worth me over wintering in the greenhouse if I prune it back in autumn?

Do you have yours supported by anything? I was thinking of running some twine along the fence for it to wrap around.
          Last edited by Wheelie; 20-01-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

Snadger, it’s the edible .edu like s I want to grow and coincidently, I will be growing against long fence at the side of a greenhouse in large pot. I take it you left it out all winter to get it bitten by frost? Would it be worth me over wintering in the greenhouse if I prune it back in autumn?

Do you have yours supported by anything? I was thinking of running some twine along the fence for it to wrap around.
            Hi Wheelie. You are going through the exact same dilemma's that I went through. Mine is supported by a fan of canes. I planted it in a pot so that I COULD take it indoors for the winter. It had do much growth on it and after the first frosts it seemed ok, so I left it where it was. The leaves are shiney, probably evergreen in its natural habitat, and quite ornamental.
            What I think did for mine was after strong winds the vine was knocked down. I tied it up again but it never seemed to recover. Mine is edulis, grown from the sed of a fruit I ate.

In a greenhouse it would probably be evergreen and not need pruning back. It is slow to start but once it gets going it puts on a lot of growth.

This was mine AFTER the first frosts of autumn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_144742-1377x2448[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2376255
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Edulis are evergreen.

Incarnata is hardier and is supposed to survive outdoors. Fruit supposedly on par with edulis.

Grew some from seed ages ago. Only one surviving. Never got any fruit. Herbacious. Very pretty flower.
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Thanks guys. You have given me encouragement. I’m pretty sure I will grow it in a pot. I am going to buy from these people as they already have it growing in a 30cm pot

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Passion_Fruit/

What size pot would be a good size as it’s permanent home?

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie View Post
                  Thanks guys. You have given me encouragement. I’m pretty sure I will grow it in a pot. I am going to buy from these people as they already have it growing in a 30cm pot

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Passion_Fruit/

What size pot would be a good size as it’s permanent home?
                  Phew, quite expensive when grown from a ready made plant. Good luck Wheelie!

PS Forgot to add, use as big a pot as you can lift, in case you want to move it.
                  Last edited by Snadger; 22-01-2018, 06:16 AM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It does seem expensive but Burncoose is about the same https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/pla...s=pl_id%3D3128

At that price I'd certainly try and keep it frost free.

Tesco sell three fruit for £1.45. One will give you enough for a plantation. They may need a bit of heat. Our local market does 10 for £1.

You can afford casualties with seed raised plants.

I'd take all ads in papers with a pinch of salt. A lot of stuff is overhyped. We've all been caught out wjth things like asparagus peas and strawberry spinach.

If you want something to put on ice cream try blueberry coulis. Blueberries bombproof, even I haven't killed them yet!
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

The familiar passiflora caerulea has edible fruits after a good summer. They're not as large as others, but they're very nice and it willingly grows outdoors.

I've been very curious why p. incarnata, the 'Maypop' isn't grown here. It seems hardier than the others. I think it must be because it needs the climate of the eastern USA and Canada, i.e. freezing for several months, a brief spring and then in return for the severe winter it turns hot and steamy for 3-6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford fruit grower View Post
                        The familiar passiflora caerulea has edible fruits after a good summer. They're not as large as others, but they're very nice and it willingly grows outdoors.

I've been very curious why p. incarnata, the 'Maypop' isn't grown here. It seems hardier than the others. I think it must be because it needs the climate of the eastern USA and Canada, i.e. freezing for several months, a brief spring and then in return for the severe winter it turns hot and steamy for 3-6 months.
                        we had one some years ago that fruited the year we had a summer, 2006, and they tasted great, but you need warmth and as we have had nothing since it was binned..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                          we had one some years ago that fruited the year we had a summer, 2006, and they tasted great, but you need warmth and as we have had nothing since it was binned..
                          By the look of the foliage on mine it is a decorative plant anyway even if it doesn't flower or fruit If it survives the winter I shall keep it, and maybe take it indoors next year.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have been trying to get my Passionflower to fruit for 2 years unsuccessfully, I have a Passiflora tacsonia hybrid as well as what I thought was and edulis, it was sold as an edulis, but after much research and lots and lots of wrong info on the web I have now found it is most likely a Passiflora ambigua.

If they flower and fruit I will be spectacularly happy, but I think my chances are slim.

Good luck with whichever variety you try
                            Death to all slugs!

Comment

I tried to grow some from seed a few years back and they germinated but just never really did anything.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X