Onion sets being pulled out

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion sets being pulled out

I planted my onion sets a few weeks ago in my raised bed. Most of them have been pulled up, presumably by birds?

Other than netting (which I'm looking at investing in next month), is there anything else I can do?

Could I save the sets and replant them later in the year (when it warms up and I'll have some netting)? Could I try to grow them indoors in a propagator before transplanting to make it less easy to pull up?

The alternative would be to grow from seed indoors before transplanting outside.

pop them into 3 inch pots or modules untill they take hold then pop them back in later. or just pop them back in and cover them with fleece if you have some

Comment

I presume you were late planting japanese onions or very early planting normal onion sets? Either way, if you have problems with birds its sometimes better to plant a bit deeper, as once they show above the ground there root system will have established and anchor them.

A planted a few Japanese onions a couple of weeks ago where a few of the originals had vanished. The originals have 3 inches of growth and some of the recently planted were scattered about. This was because the roots had pushed them to the surface. Easily fixed by poking a hole with the finger and firming them in.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yeah, sometimes it's birds and sometimes they push themselves out as snadger said. I just put them back in again. If they've got longish tabs of dried leaves attached to their tops it might help to cut them off, because apparently birds mistake them for worms.

Comment

I always cover my onion sets with fleece until they have an inch or so of green showing. Once they get to this point the birds leave them alone.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
            pop them into 3 inch pots or modules untill they take hold then pop them back in later.
            I tried that last year with shallots and mice pulled them out! They at the dried skin off the sets.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I presume you were late planting japanese onions or very early planting normal onion sets?:confused
              Nope. These were sets that were leftovers that I was gifted. Figured I'd plant it along with the garlic and see what happens. They keep coming out so I was debating about growing them indoors for a bit before transplanting them out.

As it stands, I have enough sets to replant later in the year if the current ones rot or don't grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I presume you were late planting japanese onions or very early planting normal onion sets?
                Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                Nope. These were sets that were leftovers that I was gifted. ......
                As it stands, I have enough sets to replant later in the year if the current ones rot or don't grow.
                Yes, but are they Japanese onions or normal onion sets? ...........for autumn or for spring planting? It does make a difference to what the results may be!

Comment

Pass. Suspect "normal" rather japanese. The friend I got them from had planted theirs in November. I didn't get a chance to plant until December.

Comment

If they planted them in November they are probably Japanese overwintering onions and you should replant asap. Either in modules or deeper and net or fleece until they have rooted.

Comment

I use Mushroom trays ,the ones 'Loose' mushrooms come in.
                      Usually blue or black plastic withe mesh bottom and sides approx 40x30 x10/12cm deep.
                      Get them off Market traders or Corner veg' shops, they are usually glad to get rid of them.
                      Turned upside down and held in place with a tent peg or a weight they make ideal protection for onion sets.
                      Keeps birds etc off and gives a little wind protection as well.
                      Gp
                      Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X