Best Compost for Seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Compost for Seeds?

Hi Everyone, we are going to start some of our seeds off indoors shortly. Is this best done in multi purpose or seed & cutting compost (i.e. Gro-Sure), or is there little difference as they will be planted on eventually? Thanks for the tips.

I’m not sure what others will say but my step mother is a landscape Gardner and she says Arthur bowers John Innes. Number 1 for seedlings and 3 for mature plants
    Saying that I think I will go with a bulk buy from Mr Watmores organic......
    will be interested to see what others say.

Comment

I use multi purpose. Never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
        I use multi purpose. Never had a problem.
        Likewise, I use multipurpose and have never had a problem. I would say it's best not to use anything with too much added nutrients as that may not suit germinating seeds.

Comment

I use multipurpose too but sieve it to take out the big lumps (when I remember).

Comment

being mean I use last year's compost from grow-bags usually - though if it looks in any way iffy, I tip some boiling water over it first. I germinate most warmth needing seeds such as tomatoes on damp kitchen paper in a plastic container in the airing cupboard - then when the roots start, I use a knife point to transfer them to the compost.

Comment

B&Q Verve Multi purpose compost, it only gets sieve for tiny seeds, big seeds like beans I also add some Dalek compost and leaf mould.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                I use multipurpose too but sieve it to take out the big lumps (when I remember).
                I do that too. I also add some sand after seiving to make it less rich and more like seed compost.

Kind Regards......Rob

Comment

Multi purpose sieved for fine seed.
                  Otherwise I use it as it comes in the bag for the big seeds.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

MPC for me. I used to use seed compost but found the quality variable and decided the MPC was just as good.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

MPC for me as well. I just pull out the worst of any lumpy bits as I fill the seed trays.

For the last few years I've bought Jack's Magic compost and this is mostly lump-free, but I think it has more peat in it than most, nowadays.

Comment

a combo of new multi-purpose, last years MP, dalek compost, and I'm going to try a bit of leaf-mold in the combo too this year.

I'll pull the bigger sticks out, and sieve it if I get time.

Comment

iv'e used verve mpc (peat based)in the past and had good results ,this year iv'e bought verve peat free (coier) well I carn't belive how much wood there is in it ! it will need a lot of siving to get owt decent for seed sowing, I got 20 lts of seed and cutting compost from wilko and two 20 lts of seed and plant compost from pound land ,well I planted pepper and chillies saturday ,one propagtor with wilkos, other with quids ,the pound land one has got a chilli sprouted allready ! this is the first chilli I have ever germinated .atb Dal

Comment

Verve MPC and/or Morries' Richmoor ?? with a bit of last years ReJuved.

Sieved for small seeds,De-Lumped for transplants.
                            Gp
                            Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

The thing is with sowing seed, and always interests me, I see articles stating use "John Innes" seed sowing compost, this variety off seed sowing compost, that variety of seed sowing compost as it helps with germination!

Well if that's the case, why do most seeds happily germinate on a damp paper towel

Everything a seed needs to geminate is encapsulated within the seed itself, so MPC which I use is more than adequate!

It's when it gets past it's seed leaf state and starts to put on true leaves that it needs a little more "Substance"

But that's the indication that it's now the time to move em on and give them something with a little more "Body"

So yeah! MPC for me all the way!
                              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X