Blueberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries

I've got a blueberry in a huge pot but its not really done the business for me ever. Its now in its 3rd year so I'm thinking that the pot is likely the issue. Looking at the weeds that I have at the plot and taking in the opinions of some other plot holders I'm of a mind that my ground is tending towards acidic - so I'm going to hoik it out of the plot and give it one last chance in the ground.
    I believe blueberries are ok in a little shade - though I can probably find somewhere full sun - is there anything else I should take into account?
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

It probably needs another variety for pollination.

Is it flowering?

Three years isn't that old. How big was it when you got it? How big is it now?

I've had three in large pots for seven years and they crop well. They were three years old when bought and were in 3lt pots.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I agree, the pot is probably not the issue... mine are three years old in 30 litre Hadopots and they crop well, but I have 5 (all different varieties) to pollinate each other (though some of them are 'self fertile', I think having pollinating partners increases yield).
      What did you use for compost in the pot?
      Come on Baldy, you know what to do... buy more!
      He-Pep!

Comment

Hmm.. How close do the plants have to be to pollinate? Mine are maybe a metre apart

Comment

Thought Blueberries liked acidic soil. Potted mine up in Ericaceous Compost. Lost one in the Summer. Think a cat may have been using it as a marker. Just came down one day leaves were all shrivelled up. Have 7 plants, all different, so plenty of pollination opportunities. They are just sitting next to byre at moment.

Odd as it may sound, but I have one plant flowering now

Think my problem this year was lack of water, so going to chip my Christmas tree to mulch top of pots (Adds Acid to compost I hears and reduces water loss. May top dress with compost 1st). The other thing I need to look at is pruning. I have had the plants for 2 years. Think I need to encourage new growth for fruiting buds. They are quite spindly and not fruiting very well. Any pointers on technique?

In nature, deer would just nibble tops of plants, so hedge cutter comes to mind, sure a more scientific approach is needed .

Might also think about making a large tray. With sand and plastic to retain water
          Last edited by 4Shoes; 24-10-2017, 07:15 AM. Reason: ..

Comment

I found this video useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1Z-s8wCHI
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              It probably needs another variety for pollination.

Is it flowering?

Three years isn't that old. How big was it when you got it? How big is it now?

I've had three in large pots for seven years and they crop well. They were three years old when bought and were in 3lt pots.
              That'll be it - I did have another plant but that popped its clogs last year so nothing to germinate from - doh!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                I agree, the pot is probably not the issue... mine are three years old in 30 litre Hadopots and they crop well, but I have 5 (all different varieties) to pollinate each other (though some of them are 'self fertile', I think having pollinating partners increases yield).
                What did you use for compost in the pot?
                Come on Baldy, you know what to do... buy more!
                ok - it'll have to be a bargain plant though...
                sigpic

Comment

DannyK... Very Good...Will need to look at my plants and see what I can do after Christmas.

Thanks

Comment

just for interests sake , just bought some blueberry plants at what I thought was a rather good price from scotplantsdirect , £3.50 a plant , even cheaper if you buy their selections, works out under £3 a plant
                    Last edited by SelkirkAlex; 25-10-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

That's where I bought my 5 plants, think I paid £13.50! Good plants too.
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Yep, I bought the 5 plant collection from them a few years ago - great value, but delivery was a bit expensive.

I wonder if they are still on the go in my old plot in Hull.
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                          ok - it'll have to be a bargain plant though...
                          being a skinflint , I wait until the aldi/lidl plants come on sale for more or less pennies, I now have 5 and find that even in 50ltr+ tubs, they need to be fed to get the best out of them, and I throw used coffee grounds onto the tub soil which seems to help, and costs nowt..

Comment

With regard to shade, mine are grown in part shade (full shade in winter) and are absolutely fine. They are 2 different varieties (Dixie and Bluecrop) in pots, 25 and 35 litres originally potted in ericaceous compost. I feed them in the spring when they start to flower, and I put the pots on a pot saucer in the summer (removed after leaf fall) and water with rain water only. They don't like to be dry, but also don't want drowning in winter.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Quick question on blueberries - I want to order some now, however I've not built their raised bed/containers yet and I don't have any ericaceous compost at the moment.

Can I plonk them in MFBs with some multi-purpose compost over the winter months until I get the above sorted out ?
                              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X