Gross Mismanagement of Allotments*

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross Mismanagement of Allotments*

I finally have the figures from Idverde for the waiting lists and the vacant plots as of 13th October 2017. Bear in mind that there will be more vacant plots as a result of those that don't renew their tenancy this year.

Vacant Plots figures as at 13th October 2017

Waiting List figures supplied 19th October 2017 these do not include existing tenants that are after particular normally adjacent plots if they ever become free

A break down of waiting Lists and Vacant Plot can be found here Alans Allotment: Gross Mismanagement of Allotments

I find it incredible and it reinforces my view that an Allotment Site Rep Association is required to ensure that plots are effectively managed because neither the council before or Idverde since have been doing so. Next thing you know the Local Authority will be wanting to sell off allotment land because there is not an interested and there are vacant plots

Site Rep Assoc. Info can be found here Alans Allotment: LBS Site Rep Assoc.

138 Plots that could have been occupied and bringing in revenue

138 people some that have been on the waiting list since 2011 that could have been offered a plot and have not.

This an example of gross mismanagement of Allotments by the Local Authority and Idverde
    Last edited by Cadalot; 19-10-2017, 09:52 AM.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Tell it like it is, Cadalot.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Comment

I haven't followed the links to your blog ..............
      Is this the company you're complaining about? https://www.hortweek.com/second-sout...rticle/1429566

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I haven't followed the links to your blog ..............
        Is this the company you're complaining about? https://www.hortweek.com/second-sout...rticle/1429566
        Yes and I miss typed the number its 138 Plots that could have been offered and have not been.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          Tell it like it is, Cadalot.
          Good luck getting it sorted.
          It's been hard going so far but now the gloves are about to come off, councillors and the local press come immediately to mind
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Playing Devil's advocate here - did the contract include the letting of plots or just the maintenance of the site? If the contract wasn't specific enough, there is wriggle room for the company to say its not their job.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Playing Devil's advocate here - did the contract include the letting of plots or just the maintenance of the site? If the contract wasn't specific enough, there is wriggle room for the company to say its not their job.
              In the allotment act 1922 (I think) there's something about deterioration of plots being something that has to be stopped from happening.

Comment

The site administrator was TUPE'd over to the company, but managed to find alternative employment within the council and returned to them after about a month. Idverde have not adequately resourced to provide the service, a bone of contention and I feel for the poor lady who is now managing two boroughs rather than the one she used to manage.

Regarding the contract documents I have fought using the freedom of information act to get copies and have acquired unpriced extracts, I have also asked for the service level agreements and KPI's etc. There don't appear to be any KPI's which makes it impossible for the council to monitor the contract which is a 24 year framework in 8 year chunks
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

You could try contacting the national allotment society for support,they've probably encountered this before & will be more help for you hopefully!
                  "The National Allotment Society (NSALG) is the leading national organisation upholding the interests and rights of the allotment community across the UK. We work with government at national and local levels, other organisations and landlords to provide, promote and preserve allotments for all. We offer support, guidance and advice to our members and those with an interest in allotment gardening"
                  https://www.nsalg.org.uk/about-us/

Comment

Find the local press and let them snoot about and make those responible squirm! These days not everyone cares about being ridiculed for incompetence but a local counciller might feel uncomfortable come election time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                      You could try contacting the national allotment society for support,they've probably encountered this before & will be more help for you hopefully!
                      I did they missed the point that contract to run has already happened and gave me examples on how an association to manage could be processed. I don't have enough support to make that happen, what we actually need is to get in contact with site reps that gave their contact details as the parks department.

I've just received an email back from Idverde who have committed to "assist in establishing a site reps network, but that will be after processing all the payments and subsequent changes to plots etc following the invoices, and will take some time".

Idverde described the situation they have inherited as “fighting against the rising tide” and have requested that the council assist me to begin the site rep recruitment process? They state they are "happy to take over when the lady who is doing two peoples work time is freed up; but until then I feel it’s appropriate to ask for the councils support in rectifying this situation."

Apart from printing posters, laminating and placing on each allotment gate there is little else I can do. I have suggested that if they were to let Site Reps have their plot at half cost that may be an incentive to encourage plot holders to take on the role on allotments that currently don't have a rep. With currently 138 plots that could be bring in rent it's a no brainer really.
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                        Find the local press and let them snoot about and make those responible squirm! These days not everyone cares about being ridiculed for incompetence but a local counciller might feel uncomfortable come election time.
                        Having worked within the council for 18 years, I know this works especially around election time, and it's something I'm more than willing to exploit to accelerate the process and put some pressure on the remaining council officers who really could not give a dam. The focus has been on the failed refuse collection and they could not be bothered dealing with allotments because there was not as much bad press about that. Well that could change
                        sigpic
                        . .......Man Vs Slug
                        Nutters Club Member

Comment

The press, local councillors, the MP, all have a part to play. I have shared your initial link on one of the FB groups I'm on.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                            The press, local councillors, the MP, all have a part to play. I have shared your initial link on one of the FB groups I'm on.
                            Thank you, which group would that be as I was going to add the link to those that I belong too as well
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154266488016209/

This one. Has 22k members. Many of the others are smaller.

Local groups are useful as a means of finding people who have allotments or might be interested in having one (Should they ever get the chance to be offered one)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X