Thornless Blackberry bushes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thornless Blackberry bushes

I would like to grow Blackberries and have been reading up online . I am confused with some of what I have read
    Do Not Plant: In established garden areas where you have previously planted vegetables or fruit plants. Plant blackberries 300 feet away from raspberries.
    I have a large allotment, but not large enough to plant 300ft from my raspberries, is this a misprint?
    This is where I got this info from, under site selection https://www.arborday.org/trees/fruit...blackberry.cfm

Please can someone help ?

I'd just ignore that site - if that was correct there would be none growing on an allotment site, anywhere in the UK lol

Comment

I'd ignore that site too! Try this Forum's own Growing guide at Growing Blackberries & Hybrid Berries | How To Grow | Grow Your Own

and the RHS
      https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...t/blackberries

Comment

Originally posted by 8875june View Post
        I would like to grow Blackberries and have been reading up online . I am confused with some of what I have read

I have a large allotment, but not large enough to plant 300ft from my raspberries, is this a misprint?
        This is where I got this info from, under site selection https://www.arborday.org/trees/fruit...blackberry.cfm

Please can someone help ?
        I had better rip my 3 Blackberries and the loganberry up as they are only 40 foot from the Summer and autumn Raspberries (which are nearly on top of each other).
        As has been said, ignore that site.
        Are you in the U.K?
        Feed the soil, not the plants.
        (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
        Bob

Comment

Yes I am in West Yorkshire... Thank you for the links veggiechicken. I do use rhs website a lot. I would like to grow blackberry bushes,most of what I have read is about growing the canes, which I would struggle with. This is why I wandered onto this other site.

Comment

Apart from the new dwarf blackberries I think all blackberries grow on "canes" not bushes like blackcurrants.
            Why would you struggle with canes? They can be trained against fences or wires and don't have to run riot like wild blackberries. Its all in the pruning!!

Comment

I prune all but 4 canes grow from my thorn-less blackberry plant, they then get fastened to the horizontal wires two each side. I also have a wild blackberry and that get pruned to the ground each year then that comes back as a bush.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Apart from the new dwarf blackberries I think all blackberries grow on "canes" not bushes like blackcurrants.
                Why would you struggle with canes? They can be trained against fences or wires and don't have to run riot like wild blackberries. Its all in the pruning!!
                I must of misunderstood what I read when it said thornless blackberry bushes. A couple reasons I would struggle ... My ground is very stoney so I struggle to get posts in far enough to be firm enough to support the wires and secondly I have very poor eye sight I am registered blind and the more compact things are the easier it is for me to manage them. I have some wild blackberries growing on the perimeter fence amongst ivy but it is difficult for me to see the berries. It may be easier if they were on wires instead of hidden amongst ivy etc.

Comment

You may wish to buy these as they appear to be able to be grown in containers.
                  Waldo

Blackberry Plants | Genus Rubus | Rubus Waldo

Thornless Blackberry - Waldo is a new variety producing excellent flavour firm berries. Completely thornfree variety. Picking time August to mid September. Growth is compact so a good choice if space is a concern. Ideal for planting against a wall or a fence or growing in a container.

Having just wizzed around the internet, there are quite a few varieties of Blackberry that can be grown in containers.
                  Last edited by fishpond; 25-09-2017, 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
                  Feed the soil, not the plants.
                  (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                  Bob

Comment

I understand June. Wild blackberries are not the friendliest plant to grow - so thorny.
                    Would the dwarf blackberries like https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/bl...s-pid5354.html be suitable? There are other named varieties too.
                    I'm sure someone here will be growing these blackberries and could give their opinion.

Second thoughts! Reuben don't seem very good! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rry_92464.html
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-09-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Reuben...i decided yet again to try one this year back in Feb or March ( i think) , got a plant growing in a 3 litre pot for about 20 pounds! `established plant` it looked great! and planted it very carefully it grew loads of shoots none more than 2mm diameter and 6 inch high flowered on them all.... the flowers fell off and the plant died about a month ago

in thornless varieties , both Merton and Oregon thornless seem ok though
                      Himalaya and Bedford giant are great for ones with thorns
                      Last edited by starloc; 27-09-2017, 06:45 AM.
                      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I looked up the Reuben variety and wasn't impressed with them. Some of the varieties I read about that are grown in containers said they needed trellis, and they grow tall and wide. I have plenty of ground but was hoping for something more compacted like a bush. Thank you all for your help. I will have to think about this and see if I can grow canes.
                        Last edited by 8875june; 27-09-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X