Hi To Everyone on here

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi To Everyone on here

Ive just joined and saying 'Hi' to everyone.
    I;m Gee from Harrogate ,moved here just over a year ago and loving it.!

Got an allotment plot 200 yards from home but was told by the council that there is approx 5-7 year waiting list ....Despite several plots being overgrown /uncropped and generally neglected!!!!!!
    So decided to build my own raised beds in my concrete back yard and grow in these and containers.
    Have had some good success this year despite the lack of sun !
    My plan for this next year is to sow seeds in propogators in my garage and raise them under Artificial light until big/hardy enough to harden off outside under cloches as I dont have space for a greenhouse or tunnel.
    Main interest is Veggies ,Fuschias and Hosthas.
    Looking forward to sharing views with others.
    Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Hi Gee and welcome to the forum
    Lots of us grow in our home garden and in containers so you're in good company.
    Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. Most people will be asleep by now but they'll be along in the morning to say Hello

Comment

Hey,

I've recently joined the forum too. Your in good hands here, people are very friendly.

I also grow a few veggies and flowers in containers as my garden is very small.
      Hippocrates “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”

Comment

Hi Gee welcome to the vine - Take what the council say with a pinch of salt, in my experience most councils throw limited resources or have outsourced the management of allotments. I'm a site rep who is currently battling with the council and their management company about their lack of support and action.

I had been informed that we had a waiting list of 3, a vacant plot came up and I asked them to send me the people on the waiting list to view. They came they saw and didn't want to take on a plot because of how overgrown it was. I was informed there was no one else on the list six weeks ago. I asked for an update last week and have now been given a list of 5 names with the longest person on it going back to June and the councils management company has not sent anyone to me to view.

So visit the site, see if they have a site rep and committee, if they see you are keen you may find they are also being kept in the dark by the management company or the council. My second allotment where I am a committee member we were informed that there was no one on the waiting list and have been approached by people wanting a plot and have sorted them out and got the council to sort out the paperwork and take the fee obviously.

I'm still waiting for people on my sites waiting list to contact me, as we are given names and pecking order by date, but we are not allowed to have their contact details to arrange viewing they have to contact us after the management company have informed them that there is a vacant plot.
        Last edited by Cadalot; 23-09-2017, 03:04 AM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Hi there, and welcome to the Vine
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Gee and welcome to the vine, like you I'm a back garden grower and its surprising how much you can grow in small spaces.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome to the vine

Comment

Welcome along...
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Gee,happy growing
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Welcome Gee.
                      I'm sure there are many other people here trying to make the best use of limited space, so you'll be in good company

Comment

Hello and welcome, Gee. Great info from Cadalot, there if you're still interested in a plot. Sounds like you've got a nice set-up at home, though.

Comment

Yo, Gee! Welcome and hope you enjoy your time here.

Like you I'm still relatively new and what's impressed me so much about this site is how generous people are with advice; they don't bark when faced with tautologies.

Also like you I grow in containers. I have a plot but it turns out the ground is too claggy to grow what I want, so it's going to be raised beds next year. Will look forward to seeing photos.
                          sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

Hello Gee & welcome to the forum I grow everything in the back garden too & don't have a greenhouse,windowsills in March are like a greenhouse

Comment

Welcome new Grape from me too
                              “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
                              - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X