Red tomatoes at last

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red tomatoes at last

Happy to say that I've finally got some red tomatoes after much skeptism.
    One vine of Shirley tomato went bad (brownish stain) so I had to cut that bit off. 2nd vine is doing alright.

Sun Gold tom is doing fine too but the beef tom is yet to ripen. I'm not too sure that it was worth the effort growing tomatoes when I could have just as easily (and cheaply) bought from the shop for the meagre amounts being produced on my bought 3 tomato plants. I think it's worth it if you're able to grow (from seeds) more than 5 plants, otherwise I see no real bonus from a purely cost point of view which for me is an important factor (sad to say that I'm a bit of a cheapskate).
    Last edited by veg4681; 16-08-2007, 06:57 PM.
    Food for Free

Very pleased for you veg

I am still waiting a vagueness of red, as I'm not even close and wondering if I ever will be.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

I've just started getting ripe tomatoes from my 6 plants, and they've the best flavour of any tomatoes I've ever had! That makes it worth it for me, but then I never really expected growing my own veg to provide any substantial cost saving. Certainly in this, my first, year the equipment investment alone is going to mean no net saving, but it's a hobby.

Comment

Still waiting patiently for my one plum tomato to turn...
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

My home-grown tomatoes are nothing special either - although I have tried a new variety called Berry this year and the taste is better than any other I have grown, so that's a really positive step.

It's important to accept that small-scale vegetable growing - these days - rarely gives a financial saving.

If the intention is to save money, you have to be very canny in what you spend on getting going and maintaining your "plot", and you need to concentrate on the things that are more expensive to buy.

I would imagine that most of us who grow small amounts in our gardens do so for the fascination and satisfaction of growing and for a few "special" crops that can't be bought locally - for me, it's fresh small beetroot, fresh sweetcorn, mini cucumbers, leaf beet...

I would be interested to hear from those with larger plot or allotments as to what savings can be in the longer term.

Comment

I have 12 tomato plants in greenhouse: earliest ripe ones in June.. and expect to be self sufficient in tomatoes to late September: 4 months = 16 weeks = £16 saved . Cost of seedplus feed = £5. Home grown compost. Cost of heating paraffin for toms and plants £15...

So savings help pay for flowers...

Comment

That's great from 12 plants. I'm jealous!

Comment

We're eating lots of sungold (the best cherry IMO) berry, not bad but compared to sungold not the best) and tropical ruby. I've enjoyed this small plum tom in the past but this year they are bland. Just started harvesting Green Zebra - large, juicy , sweet but sharp too, the best for grilling, great in salads. I'm thinking of sticking to the 2 I love next year.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've got 4 nearly ready to eat toms on my 3 Gardeners Delight plants that's growing in the kitchen window
                  Outdoor 'Minibel' bush ones are still small, green and look more like peas.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My tomatoes have been absolutely pathetic this year. Last year I had so many I was making tomato, chillie & garlic sauce to freeze. Not this year - although the chillies are looking good I don't think I will have many tomatoes to go with them.

Comment

as for cost, you have to compare like with like ... organic local tomatoes, not cheap chemical ones grown by slave labour. Come to think of it, weeding the allotment 8 hrs a week for 2 tomatoes, that is slave labour...
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have 5 Gardeners' Delight plants outdoors and in total they have about 20 green marbles on them so far. I'm not holding my breath waiting for anything to ripen!

With tomatoes, home grown makes the difference (usually) between having them or not. The supermarket ones aren't nice so I don't buy them. I'll get tinned ones for cooking if I have none.
                        You are a child of the universe,
                        no less than the trees and the stars;
                        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

I've just tasted my first ever San Marzano - rather nice.

I didn't think I would get any once the blight came, but it looks like I'll get a dozen or so. Not exactly the vast amounts I was hoping for to make sauce, but it's something!

Comment

speaking for myself, its not about the cost IE saving me money its about the therapeutic value in my hectic life as soon as get in from work and get in the garden no matter what needs to be done everything seems to just go away and time flys.

Comment

Originally posted by nosferato View Post
                              speaking for myself, its not about the cost IE saving me money its about the therapeutic value in my hectic life as soon as get in from work and get in the garden no matter what needs to be done everything seems to just go away and time flys.
                              It's like that for me too, however I do enjoy that smug feeling when I see the price of some of the things in the shops when I know I can pick them out my garden. Raspberries make me feel particularly smug as after the original cost of the canes they're pretty much a free crop and are extortionate to buy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X