Asparagus - Small or Dwarf?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus - Small or Dwarf?

Does anyone know if you can get small or dwarf Asparagus for small vegetable plots?

Best regards,
    Greg

sigpic

Can I ask what you mean by small, is that fern height or vigourous nature ?

If its ferm height then I have tipped out a couple that were getting too tall and wind snapping was happening, they have stem strengthened and branched the ferns out a lot more from that. Personally finding the purple ones a lot less taller and vigourous but thats no benefit if it means no decent crop down the road

Comment

What I meant was a variety that was dwarf in nature. A variety that would not take over my small plot!

Best regards,
      Greg

sigpic

Comment

No sorry Ive never seen any. If have small plot all I can suggest from my limited experience is plant them on the east side of the plot otherwise the fern will shade the rest all summer and keep male plants only then they wont seed plus output is lot better. Fern size and following year yield is highly correlated from what ive read so not sure dwarf, if they exsist, would produce much
        Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 31-08-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Artisan!

Asparagus is by no means a vigorous plant, once it's produced it's "Spears" and you have harvested the crop, the only time it gets a little bigger is when, at the end of harvesting it then puts out long wispy ferns which then in turn feed the crowns for the following year, and when I say wispy, I mean wispy and are easily tied in to keep em in check, so really thinking you are worrying when there is no need to! no matter what plot size you have!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards,
            Greg

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X