Cherry tomato varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry tomato varieties

As I have a short season I thought I'd try just cherry type next yr, I've been reading through tomato types grown (so many) .
    I don't mind cordon or bush. Hanging basket? Hmm they don't seem to ripen here well outside and break in the wind.

I've noticed some mention black cherry?
    Any recommendations ...
    Northern England.

You say you have a short season, are you up North? Knowing your location would help with recommendations.
    He-Pep!

Comment

Sungold is a quick growing and reasonably early fruiting cherry type with a unique sweet flavour. Garden Pearl is good for hanging baskets or tall pots.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Mine are all under glass and as Bario says, knowing where you are would help. I have tumbling tom reds in baskets and they have ripened first. They need watering twice a day in the greenhouse, so need a bit more care than those in pots or in the green house border. There's a race for second spot, gardeners delight and supersweet 100 are close behind. The bigger toms like ailsa craig and moneymaker are massive(not as big as beefsteaks) but probably a week behind in the ripening stakes.

Comment

I agree with Penellype sungold is early fruiting and a beautiful sweet taste.
          I have my tumbling toms in hanging baskets in the polytunnle.

Comment

All my toms are in the polytunnel, so if you're growing outside I can't offer much advice. But as others have said, basket cherry toms will be the first to ripen - I have Maskotka, Terenzo and Tumbling Tom Yellow this year, as well as Peardrops (which take longer).
            I grow a few cordons in the ground as well, usually just Sungold (there it is again!) as they're delicious and very quick/productive. I don't usually grow non-cherry varieties as they don't ripen in time, but this year I'm growing one plant each of Jaune Flamme, Nimbus and Mountain Magic, just to see if I can buck the trend.
            He-Pep!

Comment

Small bush varieties - Garden Pearl and Yellow Peardrops are always my first to crop. By the time they are slowing down the cordons are ripening.
              I grew Black Cherry every year, as it is lovely, but my new favourite is Rosella. It isn't as sweet as Sungold which others recommend, but I really do prefer tomatoes with a bit of acid to balance the sweetness.

Comment

Sungold and Garden Pearl as always the first to ripen that I have found.
                Sungold is the sweetie of cherries !
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I grow Sungold, Floridity and Gardener's Delight.

First to harvest is Sungold. Delicious but a bit of a tendency to split, so you have to keep the watering regular.
                  Still really like Gardener's Delight. Trouble free, lovely flavour and very productive.
                  Not really sure why I grow Floridity. They're good and I like the mini plum shape, but the seeds are quite expensive. I've got seeds for next year, but after that I might not bother, just grow more Sungold and GD.

Edited to add: I know lots of people like Black Cherry but I found them a bit temperamental. Plus, it took me a little while to realise when exactly to pick them. Nice flavour, when I worked out the colour when ripe, but thick skins.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 28-07-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Have added my location, I don't grow any outdoors only in GH.
                    Sungold looks a fave , il make a note of names, thanks
                    Northern England.

Comment

Sungold will do really well in a greenhouse, especially if you keep the watering regular. Always my first toms to ripen.

Comment

Short season is difficult but taking the tops out early enough to maximise the fruit you will get is prudent. Regular feed and water obviously and a bubble wrap/poly bag tent as extra insulation on each new plant for the early growth.
                        I've got black cherry for the first time this year, set a whole packet of seeds and coud hardly give the damn things away i had so many. Of course I have yet to harvest any.

Comment

I tend to keep everyone in our house until frosts stop , admittedly it gets a bit *cough* crowded.
                          I'm thinking heater in GH this yr from when they go out to get them moving earlier and bubble wrap the GH in winter .
                          Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X