Spuds through weed membrane

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spuds through weed membrane

Seems to have worked for me! Getting a very decent crop compared to last couple of years. Probably my biggest ever Spud pulled up today too. Didn't think about weighing it till after it had been mashed up with its smaller compatriots for tonight's dinner. Deffo doing it again next year.
    Spuds in buckets a less successful experiment - I suspect lack of rain in the Spring is to blame. Did get some spuds but not huge in number or size. Will try again next year and try harder with the water...
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

I moved to growing under and trough weed membrane in 2014 would never go back to doing it any other way Alans Allotment: Spuds Under Membrane
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

I found that i had to use a mulch on top of the membrane otherwise there were always a few spuds too near the surface that went green as the sun got to them. Successful growing otherwise though!

Comment

Try some cardboard or a thickish layer of newspaper under the membrane from the start, that seems to do the trick.

Comment

Don't the slugs hide under it, I have given it some thought, but then forgot about it.

Comment

I used black polythene one year, back in the dim and distant past and found it made a lovely slug hotel.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Pop Bottle Slug Traps under the weed membrane work just fine Alans Allotment: Pop Bottle Slug Traps
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Loads of snails..
                Very few slugs.
                Happy with that as the snails are not burrowing down. Will all be different next year...
                sigpic
                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                  Will all be different next year...
                  In what way?
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

I've had more slug damage in the years i haven't used it!!!

That's so dependent on the weather each year that unless you had some areas under membrane and others without, both growing the same crop i don't think you can have a fair comparison. Logically one would have thought that there would be more slugs but that wasn't my experience.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X