Flies & Insects in the Greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies & Insects in the Greenhouse

Hi there. I went into my greenhouse tonight and found that there was about 6-10 mosquito looking flies and a couple of blue bottles in my greenhouse. There was also some greenfly/green aphids on my chilli plants.

Apart from the greenfly, is there a benefit or any disadvantages of the flies being there?

I've only had a greenhouse for a year so not sure exactly.

Kind Regards.....Rob

aphids definitely not a good thing.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=181

have you thought about putting your chilli plants outside ?

as soon as i did mine, no more aphids.

Comment

ignore my last post.

this website is broken; i can't edit or delete posts.

moderators !!

caught ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined
      at vB_AJAX_QuickEditor.display_editor (vbulletin_quick_edit.js:11)
      at Object.handleTransactionResponse (connection-min.js:7)
      at connection-min.js:7

Comment

What's broken? What are you trying to do?

Comment

Forgetting aphids/greenfly, anyone know about the other flies?

Kind Regards......Rob

Comment

At this time of year I have the greenhouse/polytunnel door wide open all the time. Any flies can then come and go as they please.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
              Forgetting aphids/greenfly, anyone know about the other flies?

Kind Regards......Rob
              You need the hover flies, lace wings and some of the very tiny flies are parasitic wasps. These all help to keep the green fly population down. There will always be aphids on the plants but as long as they don't get to epidemic proportions they won't do a lot of harm. Never use pesticides in a green house as they will kill the beneficial insect as well as the aphids. Have a look at a previous post ' Don't nuke them'.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I think the flies like the warmth,I had them in my walk in blowaway never did any harm to plants though.

Comment

Being a newbie ive no business spouting advice but my two chillis and toms had an infestation of aphids. I bought a wee box of ladybirds off the mighty ebay. Released them into greenhouse yesterday morning. By today not one aphid to be seen. Really chuffed with that. Get the midges, flies and other insects in but they dont seem to do any damage and ive a few good hunting spiders in residence.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpweasel View Post
                    Being a newbie ive no business spouting advice but my two chillis and toms had an infestation of aphids. I bought a wee box of ladybirds off the mighty ebay. Released them into greenhouse yesterday morning. By today not one aphid to be seen. Really chuffed with that. Get the midges, flies and other insects in but they dont seem to do any damage and ive a few good hunting spiders in residence.
                    Thanks. Were they expensive?

Regards......Rob

Comment

Watched the BBC garden program this week, the main item was Monty netting fruit. It's probably still on the i player. They had a bit about parasitic wasps - grow fennel or coriander or another flower to encourage them.

Comment

Originally posted by goodolpete View Post
                        Watched the BBC garden program this week, the main item was Monty netting fruit. It's probably still on the i player. They had a bit about parasitic wasps - grow fennel or coriander or another flower to encourage them.
                        Yes, saw that. Thanks.

Regards.......Rob

Comment

Hey. For 25 i paid £16.75 i think. All arrived alive and had laid eggs in the transport box. I think most of them have upped and left now but still seeing the odd one in the greenhouse and ive no aphids.
                          Did it not expecting much so was very pleasantly surprised. And ive also found ladybird eggs on some plants so hoping they hatch and the cycle continues ��

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpweasel View Post
                            Hey. For 25 i paid £16.75 i think. All arrived alive and had laid eggs in the transport box. I think most of them have upped and left now but still seeing the odd one in the greenhouse and ive no aphids.
                            Did it not expecting much so was very pleasantly surprised. And ive also found ladybird eggs on some plants so hoping they hatch and the cycle continues ��
                            Actually, I found a ladybird on a wall in my garden today and I moved him into the greenhouse. I popped him on a leaf on one of my chilli plants and he made a bee line for the aphids and started getting stuck into them. I was amazed at how quickly he engaged them and started munching away. I can see why they could devastate a colony of aphids.

Good natural organic pest control too.

Regards........Rob

Comment

Its a nice feeling not having to resort to chemicals isnt it. They are like mini tigers very ferocious. Was a great experiment.
                              Will you be trying to find more wild ones? Ive sadly not seen many about but im happy ive added to our local population. Next step is to get OH to make me a ladybird overwintering house.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X