Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgette leaves help!

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum (and the allotment) so excuse any mistakes.

We've got a few courgette plants on the allotment and been getting a few courgettes off them already! Yesterday I noticed the leaves on one of the plants have started turning yellowy brown and turning in. I watered them last night but they don't look much better today. The new leaves seem to be okay, so I'm wondering should I cut off the affected leaves? Or if it's some sort of virus should I take out the plant - I'm worried about it spreading to the other plants! (All of which seem fine at the moment) I've tried to attach some photos.

We're based in south Manchester.

Thanks.
    Anna.
    Attached Files

Hi Anna and welcome.
    It looks like the old leaves that are curling and dying off. I don't think its anything to worry about - cut them off and see how the plant gets on.

Comment

Looks a little like mildew. The older leaves go a bit crispy but your plants are still producing new bright green leaves, so you should still get plenty of fruit. You can cut them off but they just go brittle and crumble as a rule.

I think that's what it looks like to me, but let's see what others have to say.
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

To me they look like old leaves that have just run out of steam, I would just cut them off.

And welcome to the madhouse you'll like it here.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi Anna, I'm no expert but something similar happened to mine last year and I did exactly as you suggest and cut off the affected leaves and the new ones were absolutely fine. You don't have anything to lose by doing it in my opinion. Somebody with more experience will be along shortly I'm sure.

Kind Regards........Rob

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!! Sounds like I can stop worrying and just cut the leaves off. We've already got more courgettes than we know what to do with, but I guess you can never have too many ... !!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna138 View Post
              I guess you can never have too many ... !!
              Hi Anna and welcome to the Vine. I always say that too at this end of the courgette avalanche
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hi Anna here's an older thread for you to read about Powdery mildew :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ins_20334.html

and welcome to the vine
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I always have a successional sowing of courgettes.
                  About 2,3 weeks apart I sow two seeds in a pot ( two pots ) so I usually get two plants after thining.
                  My courgettes always seem to burn out probably due to mildew.
                  So the new ones carry on a fresh.
                  Jimmy
                  Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X