Late leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late leeks

Hello all, I've been given some healthy looking, tho' very thin leeks in a pot today. I wondered if it was worth planting them, or is it too late? (or too early!!) Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Murray

I'm sure that they will be fine, Murray - dib a 6" ish deep hole with a ....well, whatever comes to hand, like broomstick handle (I use) - then drop each leek down the 'ole. Water in.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM. Reason: sp!

Comment

Hope it isn't too late, mine are in a bucket waiting for a bit of ground to come free. Wonder if I would be okay to plant them where they were last winter - it has had peas in it all summer?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Mine was only planted last wednesday go for it jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Cheers for that Jacob.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I think they will be fine Murray. Leeks will stand all winter, so you can harvest them as baby leeks as veg for the dinner table , or leave them to grow as soup leeks.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks for the advice.The trouble is, they're as thin as a piece of thin stuff! Like a thin piece of wire. (Quite thin really) and I,m scared they will just vanish into the earth. I'll make the holes v. small and thin and see what happens.

Comment

You could try just transplanting them on the flat to allow them to grow a bit, then earth them up when they are a bit bigger You could put paper or cardboard collars round them before you earth them up to keep them clean.

Best of luck
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Mine were really thin when I planted the a few weeks ago, but they're starting to fatten up quite quickly really so I'd go for it.
                  Newbie gardener in Cumbria.
                  Just started my own website on gardening:

http://angie.weblobe.net/Gardening/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X