Removing of potato flowers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing of potato flowers?

Has anyone done this to produce a larger crop of spuds?
    I did try it a few years ago and had a feeling that the plants with no flowers did better...but didn't compare to control plants.

your thoughts?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I don't think it makes any difference but there's really no way to prove it, either way, is there

Comment

Maybe remove some plant's flowers and leave on the others as a control?
      Need someone who is interested in the outcome and has time to try it?
      Last edited by Nicos; 24-06-2017, 07:09 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Life's too short ..............to remove potato flowers

Comment

I leave mine the flowers are pretty
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I don't know the answer but the plant those two spuds came from had flowered and was still in flower.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I leave the flowers but I do remove any of the green fruit that they sometimes produce - Desiree seems to produce quite a few of these.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Maybe remove some plant's flowers and leave on the others as a control?
                Need someone who is interested in the outcome and has time to try it?
                You'd need to start with identical tubers, grow in identical soil/compost and measure how much water each one gets, as well as weigh the crops ..... life's too short

Comment

Sounds feasible but can't say I've seen many farmers out taking their tattie flowers or seed heads off for that matter..

Logically if a plant can't utiilse its flowers to propagate seed, it SHOULD revert to its other means of propagation i.e. tubers.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I doubt if it makes any difference. The Adora spuds that I'm growing this year have been flowering well and are now producing quite a few green berries. I'm going to save them for extracting true potato seeds.

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                    I leave the flowers but I do remove any of the green fruit that they sometimes produce - Desiree seems to produce quite a few of these.
                    Yes, Desiree are known to be good berry producers, Penellype. It's often crossed with Cara to breed new varieties from the true seeds in the berries.
                    Last edited by Zelenina; 24-06-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I can't see removing them would make much difference either, there are so many other factors impacting on crop size. I'm also pretty sure the farmers would be taking them off if it were a big impact. It might make an interesting experiment for someone, there may even be some info into it.

I've read about some people experimenting the reverse of this, in that they are trying to fool the plant into thinking it won't be able to make a tuber crop in order for the plant to set more berries

Sorry I'm not much help as I think happy and healthy potato plants flower and I'm always pleased when they do. Not only because I'm a little closer to eating lovely new potatoes but the flowers are so pretty to look at and I love the way the heads bob about in the breeze. Best of all though is getting potato seed balls, what a bonus to be able to save seeds with so much diversity to grow in following years. Happy True Potato Seed (tps) growing to all I say
                      Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Apparently it's not cost effective for farmers to remove flowers,there's some online studies that go into detail,there has been a small yield increase removing flowers but not enough of an increase to do anything.

Comment

I sometimes get PFA that have no flowers and can't say I've noticed more tatties under them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X