Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florence Fennel bolting - can it be saved? And when to sow (for future reference!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence Fennel bolting - can it be saved? And when to sow (for future reference!)

Hi all

I hadn't intended to grow fennel but was given some young plants in late March (so I'm guessing the seed must have been sown in February). I kept them indoors to begin with, and then put them out once any chance of frost had passed. They were doing well but are now bolting

I have since read that the best way to avoid bolting is to wait until June before even sowing the seed. However, I have watched videos and read of people sowing much earlier than this. So I'm hoping to learn from this and wondered what folk here think is the best time to sow Florence Fennel seed? I'm in Norfolk...

Also, is there anything I can do with my existing plants now that they are starting to bolt? Or have they 'ad it?

Many thanks

Max

Florence fennel has a tendency to bolt if sown early in the year. I sow mine in June (in fact I have sown it today). It grows fast and needs sun and a good rich soil with plenty of moisture, but beware of slugs. I always sow in pots and plant out when they are big enough to hold their own. I expect to harvest mine in late September or early October - they are usually starting to bolt after that. A good crop to stick in after you have harvested something else.

Like most plants that you eat the leaves, stems or roots of, once they start to bolt they become tough and stringy. You could use the feathery tops as flavouring, but that's probably all.
    Last edited by Penellype; 20-06-2017, 01:45 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Will some one catch Aunty Flo she is off down the street again
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the helpful advice. Learning lots!

So just to be totally clear, seeing as it has only JUST started to bolt, is there any chance that cutting of the flower/seed heads will get it back on track? Or is that 100% wishful thinking?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          Will some one catch Aunty Flo she is off down the street again
          I thought it would have been to hot for her.

thanks for the heads up Pen,off to dig the seads out and sow in moduels
          Last edited by lottie dolly; 20-06-2017, 05:46 PM.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Max Dread View Post
            Thanks for the helpful advice. Learning lots!

So just to be totally clear, seeing as it has only JUST started to bolt, is there any chance that cutting of the flower/seed heads will get it back on track? Or is that 100% wishful thinking?

Cheers
            I don't think you'll get it back on track by cutting the flower head off. You might or might not find it is edible - the inside might be if it hasn't gone too far.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Never managed to save one. Once it starts that's it. When I last grew fennel in 2012 and had most of them bolting (because I followed the packet instructions and didn't sow in June) I'm pretty sure I lopped off everything more than 0.5cm above soil level, leaving a stump that produced loads of 'mini' fennels which were tender and delicious. Please someone tell me I didn't imagine this, I could have sworn I did it but you know what memory is like...

Comment

All very good and helpful advice. Thanks to all. One has not bolted yet, so I'll be sure to not let that dry and and see what happens.

Jeremy424 - it's very funny you should say that. I was chatting to my mum this afternoon. It was her who gave me the plants. Hers have done the same, and she recommended doing exactly what you describe RE the lopping and mini fennels. So that's what I'm going to do.

Plus, I've learnt plenty of lessons for next year And so has my mum, who has tried fennel for many years but never knew about the sowing in June idea... She'll be in the garden this afternoon I reckon!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy424 View Post
                  Never managed to save one. Once it starts that's it. When I last grew fennel in 2012 and had most of them bolting (because I followed the packet instructions and didn't sow in June) I'm pretty sure I lopped off everything more than 0.5cm above soil level, leaving a stump that produced loads of 'mini' fennels which were tender and delicious. Please someone tell me I didn't imagine this, I could have sworn I did it but you know what memory is like...
                  Sounds very possible, as long as you cut it off with a few buds left on the stalk, so don't cut too near the soil level. Cabbages often produce mini heads if you leave cut stems in the soil and I've done the same with lettuces that have bolted so its definitely worth a try.

Comment

I grew some last year and started too soon, I had huge stems but no bulb or flowers or seeds. I opened up the stems and found a soft liquorice flavoured goo that was quite nice to chew raw whilst wandering round the garden. This year mine is only recently sown in the greenhouse border, first sowing I got 3 germinate so I re sowed. They do not like being moved, I wouldn't start them in trays/pots but plant where you intend them to grow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X