Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comfrey (NOT Bocking 14) - how to ensure it does not self seed or spread when in use?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfrey (NOT Bocking 14) - how to ensure it does not self seed or spread when in use?

Hi all

It's my first year of proper gardening and I am dead keen to use comfrey in all of it's wonderful uses: liquid tea, mulch, dug in, leaf mould, compost activator...

Someone very very kindly provided me some crown and root offsets which I have now started to grow new plants from. This is the Bocking 14 variety, and so I shouldn't have a problem with it taking over the garden. The trouble is that it is not likely to provide much for use this year, and I want to use it... NOW!

So I put an advert yesterday for harvested leaves and plants and many kind folk have been in touch offering me some from their gardens. I don't think much of this is likely to be Bocking 14... So my question is:

Is it possible to use this in the garden (as liquid tea, mulch etc) and not have it spread or self seed? And if so, how can I go about that? If I use JUST leaves, will I be safe? Any other means to ensure I am safe from a comfrey invasion?!

Many thanks

Max

You'll be alright with leaves etc - just bung whatever you get into a bucket of water and drown it.
    Only a problem if you grow the plant and it proves to be non-Bocking 14 -
    I've not seen a non-Bocking on a couple of different plots in the last 10 years - but I guess there are some around.
    Anyhow - shouldn't be a problem for your use-case.

Pip pip,
    Balders
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

My advice is keep it in containers, the roots go down a long way and one bit broken off is a new plant! I have spent the last three years trying to get it under control. I have won many battles but the war continues
      Last edited by Greenleaves; 29-05-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Plant it in the (h)edges of your site then look innocent when accused... I'm about to t=use this tactic at home too
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I actually want some that does spread. I bought some blocking 14 seeds of which only one germinated out of the full pack and so obviously have only one plant now which is about two inch tall and next to useless for why I want some Comfrey.

I wish somebody would drop a load of plants off for me, seeding or non seeding. I would rather have the problem of digging them up if they spread than having none at all!

Regards Rob

Comment

Bocking 14 doesn't set viable seeds. If you bought some, you were conned.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Well I think they were. I will check.

Comment

You bought Common comfrey - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1513421

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Here they are. Actually not blocking. Will these spread?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-12 12.05.01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2372815

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-12 12.04.47.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2372816
                  Last edited by Dynamite; 29-05-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Not unless you get them to germinate

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post

Here they are. Actually not blocking. Will these spread.]
                      Didn't we "discuss" this before? Yes, it will spread! It is prolific and will take over....

Comment

Yes its deja vu time! Link at #8

Comment

If it's not Bocking 14 then wave goodbye to the garden

Please note Bocking not blocking (named after the place it was developed)

Bocking 14 doesn't produce viable seeds which is why it's so useful as the seeds go everywhere and germinate freely. Anything grown from seed isn't Bocking 14 and will produce seed.

Sorry Greenleaves but growing Comfrey in a container to me is a useless exercise - any nutrients the comfrey has you will have to put into the container in the first place so why not just put that onto the plants you want to feed. Unless of course you meant use the cut stuff in containers as a mulch or make a tea in a container then yeah.

If you have a bag full of cut comfrey you can turn it into concentrate or tea. If the flowers aren't there or aren't open you could use it as a mulch once it has wilted enough. If you just use the leaves and reserve the stems and flowers for tea then the wilted leaves can be used as a mulch with less chance of rooting.

With the Bocking 14 crown and root cuttings it's best not to cut them this year so they can get established. Next year you can get several cuts off them. The comfrey plants get bigger each year so you may only get a small amount at each cutting next year but the year after they'll be loads more. The plants will grow each year and you'll be able to take your own cuttings from the crown each year.

Make sure that you want to keep it growing where you plant it as you can't change your mind late on. Alot of people put it at the edge of the plot, or behind the shed or even next to the compost bins so that they can soak up the nutrients that seep away from those (also handy to chuck a few leaves in now and then).

Comfrey can grow in semi shade but one of my beds has more sun at one end and this is where the comfrey does best in full sun.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and discussions; especially Jay-ell's which is very helpful.

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                            If it's not Bocking 14 then wave goodbye to the garden
                            That's why I've made sure all of the plants I got to grow in my garden are Bocking 14. The only non Bocking 14 comfrey will be what comes in the next few months, and that will all be harvested plants. Hence the reason for this post - I want to make sure that the way I use this harvested NOT Bocking 14 comfrey will 100% ensure it cannot set seed and grow.

Whilst on that note, excuse the newbie question, but where do the seeds form the plant come from? The flower?

I think the best and safest strategy for me might be just to use the leaves in what ever I do. But for the record, are you saying that the whole plants can go into tea making and not run any risk of spread seed/new plants?

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                            Make sure that you want to keep it growing where you plant it as you can't change your mind late on.
                            Thanks for that. Yes, I have picked spots where it would not be practical to grow anything else. And that includes three plants next to the compost bins

Thanks again

Comment

The seeds come from the flower. When comfrey starts to put up a flower it is the most packed with nutrients it can be so that's the best time to cut it back and harvest it. If, however, you let it go to flower the bees will love it and as you have Bocking 14 it wont produce viable seed.

When making tea or concentrate the whole plant is used. Here's some threads for you to read through:-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...urs_93168.html
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_93495.html

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X