Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forking tomatoes 2017 & 2018 & 2019

There are at it again this year

I've just taken a very firm hand to some of the norty ones The others are a bit too far gone, so they'll just have to have 2 stems now - they've been caned!!
    It's their own fault
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-05-2019, 01:14 PM.

Which ones are misbehaving? Is it the usual miscreants?

Comment

Just checked last year's thread and it seems yours are very precocious, Thelma

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...6-a_90300.html

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        There are at it again this year

I've just taken a very firm hand to some of the norty ones The others are a bit too far gone, so they'll just have to have 2 stems now - they've been caned!!
        It's their own fault
        I don't reckon that 2 stems is that bad as you will get more trusses but they do need support and care as you wont want any more offshoots, i'd just feed them well and enjoy.

Comment

A new stem from the bottom, ie a missed sideshoot from a lower armpit, I don't mind at all, just a call it a double cordon and let it grow up it's own cane

When they fork at the top, they can be a bit awkward to support, I find

I wondered if it is because of the recent hot weather? Worst offenders are Peacevine cherry and Buffalo Horn.

Comment

Thought you were expressing anger there Thelma...oh you were, just not the way I thought on first reading the title!
            sigpic

Comment

My moneymakers and sun gold have all forked, not best pleased

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                I wondered if it is because of the recent hot weather? Worst offenders are Peacevine cherry and Buffalo Horn.
                I don't seem to have any this year - which is unheard of in things like Stupice and Amish Paste - I would say there is some aggressive side shooting going on and one or two growing points look like they are running out of steam (which might mean a fork in progress).

I put it down to it being so cold over night when I put them out (lost one growing point so was very glad of the side shoots) so who knows?!

PS despite a really difficult season re temperatures etc my stupice look on target for ripe tomatoes by the end of June.
                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Pantano Romanesco forked for me last year and are already doing it this season.

Comment

Forking tomatoes 2018

Spotted my first Forkers today
                    All 4 Halina plants and one Rosella.
                    3 of the 4 Halina had a megabloom too - pinched out and sent to the megacompost heap.
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 29-05-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I normally leave my sungolds to fork as much as they want, they are normally outdoors protected by a south facing wall. I'm growing them on my first allotment this year, maybe I will pay them a bit more attention as there is not as much protection outdoors, and they'll need more support, and time to develop fruit
                      Last edited by chillithyme; 29-05-2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Do you mean "forks" where the main stem splits into two or leaving on side shoots (armpits)?

Comment

One of my Gardeners Delights had decided to fork they'd both got flowers so I've stopped the one on the left just after the flowers.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Allicante is the one that forks on me every year.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've got a few forkers . Definitely a sun gold. can't remember what else. Will let you know tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X