Oh Nuts!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Nuts!

Just realised that I haven't got a south facing wall on my allotment for my new almond tree.
    I've got a few large pallets that I might use to build a wooden south facing 'wall' - would this be worth doing? As I understand it they do best if they are "espallierated" - my plot wouldn't win any prizes at Chelsea, would even struggle at Millwall - so having a few more pallets won't hurt the look of the place - but is it something I could use to imitate a wall and help training the plant & does that actually make a difference?
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Mine isn't going to have a wall. It'll be bunged in an empty space and told to get on with it

Comment

Posts and wire - or the closest you have.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

We had an Almond tree when I was growing up, it was just grown as a standard

Comment

Splendid news - thanks all - sure I'll find another use for the pallets...
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
            We had an Almond tree when I was growing up, it was just grown as a standard
            ............Likewise!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Don't know specifically about almonds but the idea with espaliers, fans, festooning etc. is reducing the sap flow to the ends to discourage growth and thus therefore divert energy and tricking tree into fruiting or something like that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X