Bugs on Aubergines?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs on Aubergines?

Hi, haven't written on here for ages, but I would like to ask for your assistance, I have 3 Aubergine plants in a growbag in the greenhouse and they are doing well, but on the undersides of the leaves and on some of the flowers are these tiny pink/purple bugs, are these harmful and if so what can I do to get rid of them organically? Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sometimes, aphids are a purply colour - I get them on aubergines each year at some point. They particularly like to sit on the flowers and suck all the goodness out!

Personally, I squash aphids with my fingers as I don't use sprays. You could try an organic (soap or oil based) spray - they're not difficult to find in garden centres these days. A drop of washing up liquid in some water, sprayed on would have a similar effect. I would take them outside and go over them thoroughly.

The other possibility is red spider mite - common in greenhouses and on aubergines. You get silky webby bits as well with these. They are smaller than aphids. From your description my guess is still aphids at the moment.

Comment

Aubergines

Hi, thanks for your help, I will get my OH to help me move them out to give them a good spray, I will have a good with the fairy liquid and water thing, I did squash a few with my hands this morning but I didn't have enough time to do them all. So fingers crossed as this is my first time growing aubergines and was really excited when I saw the first flowers they are so pretty and I love aubergines!

Comment

Try a mini hoover - one that is sold for cleaning computers...
        My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
        Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Does sound like aphids - if you don't fancy squishing them with your fingers you could try wiping them off with cotton wool soaked in diluted washing up liquid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X