Frost damaged vines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost damaged vines

Just had both my new grape vines hit by frost. What's the best course of action from here?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2404450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2404451

Leave them for a while and see if they recover. If the frosted shoots don't recover they'll probably grow some new ones. Then cut off any parts that are definitely dead. Also keep an eye on the weather forecast and bring them indoors whenever near or below freezing temperatures are forecast.

Comment

According to the books I have been reading lately, unless the vine is less than .5"diameter, frost shouldn't
      be a problem.
      As it is green growth that is affected, I am sure you will get new growth to take over very quickly, but it would be wise to at least either part bury the pots / fleece them both as they are young.
      Last edited by fishpond; 27-04-2017, 08:20 PM.
      Feed the soil, not the plants.
      (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
      Bob

Comment

From what I've read each bud is actually a cluster of three buds so if the primary bud gets frosted there could be a back up.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X