Culinary pears?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culinary pears?

When I was ordering my pear trees I was going to add a Worcester Black to the shopping list, more because it's regionally significant rather than I had a need for a culinary pear, in the end I didn't bother.

I've seen lots of posts about the usual suspects (Williams, Concorde, Conference) but nothing on any culinary pears, is everyone just growing desert pears?

If you find anything on perry pears in domestic situations point me in that direction. I tend to use my dessert pears for cooking anyway so has not appealed to me to get a culinary only variety.

Comment

Pears still don't have many choices for dwarf rootstocks so are rather large trees. Most people don't want masses of pears only good for cooking. You could always graft a few branches over at a later date if you wanted.

Comment

I am going to plant two next year - Black Worcester and Catillac on Quince C rootstock as Cordons on a Wall

So far i have only dessert pears....Beth as my early pear, Doyenne de Comice and Concorde as my mid-late pears and Josephine de Malines and Winter Nelis as my late/very late pears.
        Last edited by GBax; 31-03-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Are you growing them for a specific use, to extend the season via natural storage or to complete your collection?

Comment

I think they are both very beautiful fruits, plus I do love stewed pears but a good part of the decision is to round out the collection.

I would like to squeeze in a Beurre Hardy cordon .....and if i can find the space a freestanding Louise Bonne of Jersey as well !!!

Comment

I limited things to Beth, Onward, Concord and Winter Neils growing as espaliers on pyrodwarf but chances are most of the fruit will end up being stewed /poached anyway which does make me wonder...again.

There is always perry with the leftovers

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
                I limited things to Beth, Onward, Concord and Winter Neils growing as espaliers on pyrodwarf but chances are most of the fruit will end up being stewed /poached anyway which does make me wonder...again.

There is always perry with the leftovers
                as long as you don't all have to drink it out of babycham glasses, like the taste, hate the thought..

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
                  I limited things to Beth, Onward, Concord and Winter Neils
                  Nice selection - i looked at Onward, very pretty and lots of attractive attributes but what a godawful name!! I know it shouldn't be part of the decision making process on what one grows but it is for me!

I might start a thread on awful names of fruit and veg !
                  Last edited by GBax; 03-04-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X