Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butternut Squash

Thinking ahead as you do,

I have had good crops over last few years of Butternut Squash, however storing them is another matter.

I have waited when weather allows for stems to fully harden to crop, but still manage to have the stems start getting mould.

They are kept in the garage with fairly stable temperature and humidity.

This year I am going to try putting ground cinnamon on the stems after hardening to act as a natural fungicide.

Anyone else tried or even heard of this??

I'll post results albeit a little way off.

Jim

How much of the stem do you cut them off with? I cut a good 4 inches each way of the main stem so that it has a T and that seems to keep them well into the next year. My garage is too damp and too filled with mouse to store things well though. Other than spuds in metal bins.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Hmm, not having had butternuts I can't really comment, but I would guess that the garage is a little too cool and humid perhaps. I've kept my Yellow Mandans (C. pepo) in the pantry, roughly four hundred of them, and had to take maybe five to the compost bin that had turned mouldy, but some 150 are still up there and fine.
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

sparrow100

Last crop I cut as you described, I had read elsewhere to use thiat technique but to no avail

Comment

Not done butternuts but of the winter squash I grew last those in the garage went off, those in the cupboard under the stairs are still fine.

I guess it's too cold/damp in the garage for them.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I grew squashes which stored indoors for a long time.
            I tried butternut squash in the GH but only got approx 1 off each plant.
            Probably better buying them at Aldi and use space for something that works.
            Jimmy
            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Too cold and damp in the garage, I hear set mine with the t shaped stem and make sure they are fully cured in the sun if possible. then they go on a shelf anywhere I have space in the house,usually eat the last ones mid April
              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Same here, those in the garage go mouldy but those currently on the spare bedroom floor are fine.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mine are in the kitchen, in the fruit bowl! Used one yesterday and have 3 left. They're still good to eat.

Comment

Oooooh very good point Jimmy S, I hadn't considered where I'm going to store any of my squash harvest! And squash is this years new obsession Thanks for the wake up call. Runs off to start planning and hoping for a good harvest

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X