Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacing for Stepover Apples (M27)

Hi there

I have used these forums as a resource for quite some time but this is the first time I have registered and posted. I tried searching for the answer before doing so but I am not sure I used the forum search properly so apologies if this question has already been dealt with.

I have just picked up a few cheap baby M27 apple trees which I am hoping to train as stepover apples. Im not entirely clear on the pruning to be done (pruning remains the one area of gardening I think I need a lot more knowledge and practice with than any other) but for now I would just like to know:

a) Whether I should be looking to plant these out now?
    b) How are apart the trees should be spaced?*

*RHS says M27 grow to 5ft tall. Not sure if the same applies when running 2 horizontals from it instead. If so presumably planting a new tree every 10m along the path would be sufficient.

Advice from anyone who has stepovers or just knows about apple tree pruning would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

I have recently purchased a step over pear. The instructions that came with that said that the bare root tree should be planted asap. Give it a hand full of blood fish and bone meal. Put a stout post in with the tree and then place two more stout posts in the ground to allow a minimum spread of 6 feet. So I think you might need to consider a minimum distance between trees of 6 feet. Put wire between the posts so that they are about 18 inches to 24 inches above the ground.

the tree should have two stems in a "Y" shape. One in the ground you will need too bring the two stems down to the wire. The join in the "Y" should be about 3 inches above the height of the wire and the rootstock join in the tree should be about 4 inches above the ground.

Don't force the stems down and give each stem a slight twist. One twisted away from you and one twisted towards you. This seems to reduce the stress on the "Y" joint. Tie them off and leave for 3/4 weeks then bend them down a bit more. Keep doing this gradually until they are as horizontal as you would like. Again do not force them down too much as the joint could fracture and disease could get into the tree.

In June you will be able to extend the stems by letting a strong vertical shoot at the end of the stems develop and tie it to a bamboo cane at a 45 degree angle so that it starts to bend to the horizontal. Any other vertical shoots can/should be pruned to about 4 inches so they are now spurs off the horizontal branch.

Hope this helps and good luck with the trees. They will give you three lots of enjoyment, the flowers in spring, the birds during the year and the fruit in the Autumn. Mind you there is a price to pay.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill - some really useful information here. I'll be sure to get them in to the ground asap.

Just one question re your last comment below - what is the price to pay? Sounds ominous....

Originally posted by Bill Door View Post
      Hope this helps and good luck with the trees. They will give you three lots of enjoyment, the flowers in spring, the birds during the year and the fruit in the Autumn. Mind you there is a price to pay.

Bill

Comment

Ah! the planting, pruning and picking price!

Bill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X