Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Asparagus

Hi
    I am making a bed for some new(I haven't collected them yet) 1 year old crowns.
    I have 2 growing in one of my veggy beds that have been there for 5 years+ and have never produced anything worth eating.(they appear healthy, I am sure the reason for non-productivity is the ground they are in--not very free draining)
    I intend to move these into the dedicated bed within the next 2 weeks.
    Can anyone foresee any problems?
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
    Bob

They're supposed to have a very extensive root network if they're healthy, so they might be hard to dig out without losing a lot of root - but what have you got to lose if they aren't producing anyway?
    He-Pep!

Comment

They do have an extensive roots system so try not to dig too close to the crowns as you need to get enough of the roots out so the shock is minimal with the move. Saying that once they are out the ground try and remove as much of the old soil as possible, washing the roots in a bucket to do this is the best method be careful as the roots are delicate.
      Any damaged roots should be removed with a knife before replanting to minimize introducing desease to the plants, there may be white thin roots don't worry about damaging those as it will be unavoidable but be careful with the thicker roots.

You need to get this done asap because soon as the weather gets warmer they will come out of the dormant state and it will be too late to move them without risk to the plants.

If they haven't produced after all that time in the ground then they deffo need moving as they are showing they are unhappy where they are, moving them may kick them into action if the ground has better drainage.
      The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X