Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planting a steep overgrown bank with berries.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting a steep overgrown bank with berries.

I've got a good few berry bushes that I have to move shortly, I'm putting a hedge where they are. There's a steep bank at the side of the house about 30m long that's overgrown with grass and has half a dozen trees in it. I have no intention of mowing it, it'd be too awkward.

I have to move rhubard too, I was going to put them all in this bank. Will rhubarb and berry bushes be alright with long grass growing around them? I can stick them in a plot in the front lawn if it wouldn't. I want to start planting more stuff on the lawn anyway and do away with the grass.

If you don't intend keeping the grass down, the bushes/rhubarb will soon get swamped by it.

Comment

I strim it a few times a year, that's all. It's far too steep for even a push mower. I'm putting steps down the middle of it this year so could keep a stretch either side of those clear for plantung stuff. It's one of the only parts of the garden that's sheltered from the wind so if I did that it might be ideal for the rhubarb.

I might do a berry bed kind of thing in either the orchard or at the front. Plant all the berries together in a cleared patch and just keep mulch around them so the grass can't grow up.

They're overgrown with nettles where they are, regardless of how often I weed the area. I'm pulling them all out to plant quicks, next year I'll fence that area off.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X