Damson tree in a pot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damson tree in a pot?

Has anyone successfully grown a damson tree in a large pot?
    I'm wondering if I can get away with doing so. My plan would be to grow a damson 'Merryweather' tree in an old black plastic dustbin. Is this feasible or not a good idea? The tree will be grafted onto a St Julien rootstock.

I think it would be a full time job watering a big tree in a dustbin, Cheops.

Comment

I've not tried a damson in a pot but most plums are difficult in pots. You'd be better off with a more compact rootstock such as VVA-1 or WA-VIT.

Comment

You would have to root prune it every 3-4yrs I reckon, I have some strong growing fruit trees in 50ltr pots that get treated that way and it works for me. I remove some of the large root each time and instead of big branches from big roots you end up with finer branches from finer roots, I just applied the same theory that I use on my bonsai, I have a 20yr old horse chestnut @ 10ins tall and leaves about 2ins across so I know it works, just don't try to take too much root off at one stage, that's why I just remove one major root a time, then you need to let the smaller replacement roots grow and establish. Fresh john Innes No3 each time you trim and I throw some bonemeal in at that time, seems to work fine, I wish I had done it with my pear trees as they are now about 15-16ft tall now so its too late to start...

Comment

Thx for replies. I've ordered a damson and a czar which I had intended putting each into two large pots. Now I'm not so sure. What would happen if I had each in a pot, regularly feed them and regularly prune them to keep them smallish., but ignore Buff's advice and never trim the roots or replace the soil/compost. If I am advised this just won't work then it's into the garden proper which will be a bit of a squeeze.

Comment

My fruit trees were in pots before I moved and most have breathed a sigh of relief being in the ground with the exception of my damson - Merryweather. In a pot it fruited every year, in the last four years in the ground it has done little but survived. There is a patch of damsons in the village on a bit of scrub. I am starting to suspect that damsons like to be challenged and not fussed over It is looking like it will go back in a pot some time this year.

Comment

Thx Norfolkgrey that's interesting to say the least. May I ask - did you leave your fruiting damson in the pot year after year without root pruning or changing the soil? I assume however you did feed and prune the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by cheops View Post
                Thx Norfolkgrey that's interesting to say the least. May I ask - did you leave your fruiting damson in the pot year after year without root pruning or changing the soil? I assume however you did feed and prune the tree.
                Very little to no pruning in pot or ground as it is not vigorous. When in a pot I just use to top dress it. I may have refreshed the soil one year but that is it.

Edit: I think I had it in a pot for 4 years maybe 5 as it was one of the first ones I got. It used to flower late as well just to make me panic Also my trees were in pots that were around 40l. (yes, I know - no wonder my other trees rejoiced when they got freedom! )
                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Well thanks again for this info Norfolkgrey. One can read this or read that via the internet but nothing beats the real experience of actual people. I now feel confident that I can put it in a large pot when it arrives. I'm gonna use a good top soil I have. To hear it blossomed late with you is good news rather than bad as that will help avoid late frosts and there will be more bees about. The pot I have is marked 55cm. No idea how many litres that is but it's quite a big pot. [got it in B&M]

Comment

One idea I'm using with the damson I've grown from cuttings is to put them in a hedgerow and let them get on with it. Hopefully I get to harvest the before anyone else each year, there seem fewer people that know or care these days. High risk hassle free.

Comment

Good luck with that ESB. Nice idea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X