manure sheep

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manure sheep

My friend has an orchard that he allows the farmer to graze his sheep on he has just said I can help myself to as much of the manure that he has piled up for the last few years as I like.

Is sheep manure any good or am I wasting a morning bagging up a load ?

If I was offered sheep manure, I would at least try it...........the more organic matter you can add the better.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Yes its actually probably better than horse or cow, but as the animal is smaller it needs more of them to make the same output and they are less likely to be in sheds so they tend to be dropping on the field.

Needs well rotted.

Comment

Very maggoty!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Of all the assorted types of manure available here (chicken, rabbit, sheep, goat and horse), sheep manure is the most expensive. Stuff that's been piled up for a few years old will be fantastic. Good luck. I'm very jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Very maggoty!
            ^^^^^ can you explain, Snadger?

I would have said, they are ruminants, they eat grass, it'll be good stuff. It is less fibrous than raw horse muck (not a ruminant) and less sloppy the cow. Obviously you are picking it up without bedding in it so it will need to rot down well. If it's not rotted you could mix it up with some dead material and water it to encourage the process. You friend is very diligent if they have raked it all up into piles over the years.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Well it's more his dad than my friend to be honest.and apparently there is a massive pile of it I can help myself to I will swing by at the weekend and have a look

Comment

make sure you colect any wool as its one of most desired parts of the growing media in compost thats used in the sheds were rubarb is grown ,its called shoddy which is a term used for the worthless wool that breaks away from the fleece on the shearing shed floor (hench the name for for cheap clothing)
                what Snadger may have come across is the clippings from around the sheeps bum it cut off to keep the sheep clean in warm wheather and to get rid fly magots and poo that can turn into sores around thier nethers.
                atb Dal
                Last edited by Dalrimple; 24-02-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X