Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes - timing

Hello

This year I will try potatoes for the first time. I have set aside a whole raised bed for them and selected what I wanted to plant:
    rocket (extra early)
    anya (second early)
    ratte (Maincrop)

I've been reading about chitting and will do this. But what about timing. Do I plant all 3 varieties at the same time and they just take longer to be ready according to the variety or do I also need to stagger planting? If the latter, then I should also delay the purchasing of the pots I suppose, no? It's easy to store seeds but not sure about storing potatoes I should only plant in a few months.

Thanks for your views?

Signed: confused of Kent
    Nature is amazing
    Instagram: @frankinkent

Potato seed is usually planted at the same time second early and main crop just take longer to be ready.

Some of us plant some first early in pots in the green house and these can go in earlier say beginning of March.

With those going in outside you have to be able to protect from frost or time it so the haulm appears above ground after your last frost date.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Most years you can plant potatoes from mid-March onwards down here, in Kent. It would help if you put a location in your profile. (edit I've just noticed your forum name oops! lol)

If the leaves start to show above ground and a frost is forecast, just draw some soil from between the rows up and over the leaves. The covering of soil prevents any frost damage.

If they do get blackened by an unexpected frost, they will regrow - so no need to panic.
      Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 15-02-2017, 08:10 AM. Reason: silly me!

Comment

In north Cheshire I don't sow most of my spuds until April (towards the middle) as it's just too cold before then. I do sow some in March in the tunnel though to bridge the gap between last year's crop and this.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I wouldn't get overly concerned about chitting as you can plant the spuds & they will still grow.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I like to get mine early. Here the date for planting is the 19th March, St Joseph. The reason for this that with a bit of luck they are ready before the blight hits. If you plant early make sure that the tops are covered with either soil or some sort of frost protection i.e. Fleece or I use straw.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Quite ashamed to learn I didn't even know about blight and I've been growing spuds for a few years.

Well, I did 'know' about it, it's just I never realised it was so common and predictable. Did a little research and realised that some of my past crops have had it. I just thought it was a natural die off of the plant at the end of it's life. I might only grow first and seconds this year and get them in march. I've conventionally put them in around april to avoid having to deal with frost, not realising there's a timeframe involved. Thanks guys for the tips!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X