Help! My raspberries are weedy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My raspberries are weedy

We are really enjoying the fruit from the rasps on our allotment. Thing is we only took on the allotment this year and I have no idea about the type / variety -- but I am guessing they are summer not autumn fruiting.

The bushes are fine -- it's not them that are weedy! -- but they are choked with couch grass / bindweed / thistley things and a bramble. I can't dig round the bushes to get these out -- I'll lose the raspberry plants.

So what should I do?

I am no expert and I dare say someone will give you better advice but I would get the rest of the plot clear,then in the time of the planting of raspberry canes dig all the old ones up and plant this years canes in a nice weed-free place.

Comment

You just have to grin and bear it, stick on a pair of gloves and pull the weeds out. Loosening the soil with a bit of water should help. Mulching will help to keep the weeds down.

Comment

I had the same problem. You can't hoe because the raspberry roots will get damaged, so hand pulling is the way to go. Its taken me 2 years but I've pretty much cleared all the weeds now. PS. I now mulch deeply with grass clippings which seem to help prevent any annual weeds coming up
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Use a paint brush and weedkiller.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X