A rotavator no more!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rotavator no more!

Spring time approaches and the plot will need turning over.

Now I have raised beds it's much easier.

When I was young (63 now) I used to set about the plot and turn it over like a mad rotavator, in one hectic session.

I can't do that now and instead I do a row and then potter in the Greenhouse or have a brew, then do another row. Soon gets done !

Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Thats the way to do it young man,thats why i like raised beds these days,all i done end of last year was,cover up the ground,and leave it till required,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Having seen the results of my brother in law using a rotavator when he first got his plot and not digging by hand and weeding first, I feel my investment in time, although a lot slower has been more than worth it when I see what he now battles each year.
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

I had an allotment when I was 18. When I first acquired it I rotavated it.
        I hired a rotavator, it was a bit of a beast and took some manhandling.
        Halfway though things suddenly became easier, When I look I was only holding two handle grips, the rotavator had took off by itself across the plot.
        I had to chase after it a reattached them.
        It would have made a hilarious video if anyone had a camera !
        Jimmy

Comment

I have two rotavators (Mini tractor and walk behind)! This year I shall use neither on the plot.
          When we first got the plot it was full of bind weed and we took the time and effort to fork it through and double dig one half of it and left the other half fallow/rotavated.
          The first half remains in good heart while the second half has only had strips double dug and is just not up to the same standard. This last autumn I double dug the worst strip/bit and have gone the no dig method over the rest of it. I have a couple of raised beds on the first half and am gradually going more no dig and reaping the benefits. no dig still requires effort gathering and casting the organic stuff, but once established over a couple of years the effort lessens and the benefits of healthy produce increases.
          Im just a few years behind you Jimmy and am working toward easing the workload ahead. if you have any tips I'm all ears.

Comment

I still have a small area of ground to clear and cultivate for tatties and brassicas, I think they do better than in my raised beds. As you say little and often on the digging once a year is good exercise. The raised beds are definitely the way to go , no digging or bending down.

Comment

An old picture of the plot from the 70s with Mother working on it!
              It was on Deepdale allotments, Preston.

As for "easing the workload".
              I try to limit what I grow to only what I like and what does well.
              Also our neighbour who waters on holiday has moved.
              So I will have to delay things, sowing etc, till after our Early Spring holiday.
              Probably buy some chiili plants instead of sowing my own.

Jimmy
              Attached Files

Comment

Never had an allotment due to either having enough space where I live, or on the one occasion I did buy a house with a small garden, there was no lotties in the village. I guess I've missed the camaradie and competitive side that a lottie would bring.

Comment

At 18 it was amazing.
                  Huts full of home brew.
                  Plot wars.
                  Never ending cuppas
                  Etc

Comment

Jimmy,

mulch heavy and you can water a whole lot less anyway or even not at all. The soil stays moist and plants are a lot less stressed as a general rule. I have a lovely neighbour that likes to take over watering (and picking) duties for the holidays but if she forgets it's not a problem with lots of mulch. Our lotties have water troughs but no hosepipes allowed so not carrying 40+ watering cans 3 times a week is a big bonus for us in the summer.

Comment

Main problem is the toms in growbags in the GH and outside.
                      Anyone got an auto system that actually works ?
                      Jimmy

Comment

Jimmy, I use these for some of my tomatoes as I work long unsociable hours and sometimes don't get on the plot quite as often as I used to

Hozelock self watering trays

And a 2 pot Auto pot for my cucumbers

easy2grow Kits

And they both work an absolute treat, honest!
                        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Opp's! Sorry! Seems the original first link doesn't work!

Try this

Grow Bag Waterer - 2810- Hozelock
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X