Forcing chicory

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing chicory

So I thought I would experiment with trying to force a Witloof this autumn. Me and Mrs G love Belgium and have numerous short breaks there. Amongst their cuisine, forced chicory is used both in salads where it lends a refreshing bitterness, and is also braised in stock or white wine, or cooked with cheese and ham. Absolutely delicious!

I grew a short row of Witloof and a few weeks ago I lifted 2 roots. I trimmed off the leaves to about an inch from the base of the plant, trimmed the roots a little and then put it in a pot with compost and stuck it in the dark garage under a thick black plastic bag.

The attached picture is the result: lots of thin leaves growing round the edge of the root, but no tight compact head. The leaves give off that good slightly bitter chicory taste, but I'm not getting the tight "chicon" I want.

Edit: just want to mention the 1cwt of Maris Piper and string sacks of Zebrune Shallot behind the chicory. Just noticed they were in the pic. L&K Vince G Smug

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Vince G; 04-11-2016, 12:28 AM. Reason: boasting
    Are y'oroight booy?

My guess would be that it's a bit warm so they've been growing too fast?
    Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
    Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
    Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
    Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

It could be too warm but my guess would be not dark enough and the compost is too moist. As it is too warm now I expect you have dug them up too early. But full marks for trying

When I tried mine two years ago I covered the pot with another upturned bucket and covered that with a tarp and left it alone for three weeks. I also used nearly dry used compost and a bit of sand. When finished I had very "hairy" roots but I think that is what you need.

Best wishes for the next try.

Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2376455Tried forcing chicory again this year. Left it a bit later so it was colder and there are a couple of nice tight heads as you'll see from the attached pic. Might try the recipe with ham and cheese the do in Belgium. Yum!
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X