Harlequin Beetle Invasion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harlequin Beetle Invasion

Has anybody else had an invasion of Harlequin Beetles today? I know that another name for them is Halloween beetles because they swarm at this time of year to find somewhere to hibernate but I've never seen so many.

Here's a photo and the whole side of the house was like it.

Attached Files

Is it the beetle or the ladybird? I can't tell from the photo.

Comment

They're the beetle, all sorts of different patterns not the consistent patterns of ladybirds.

Comment

Confussed of Hampshire......I thought they were Harlequin ladybirds, a cousin of our two spot ladybirds?

Comment

Alien ladybirds riddled with STDs have invaded Britain and could kill off native bugs - Mirror Online
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

A friend had exactly that on Tuesday afternoon Mark. She thought they were ladybirds looking to hibernate and she hoovered them up.

Comment

Absolutely thousands at work!
              Not that many at home, near the coast.
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

BBC Nature - Harlequin ladybird videos, news and facts

Comment

OK, I §guess they're called Harlequin Ladybirds although I thought when they first came, they were called Harlequin Beetles because they were only distantly related to our native species and that there was a proposal that we should try and eradicate them. (Not that that was possible).

They seem to be coming mainly from the woodland out the back of my garden.

Comment

Harlequin beetles are very different https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin_beetle

Whoever thought of using these harlequin ladybirds as a biological control got it seriously wrong.

Comment

If my memory serves me right, they didn't expect them to survive. They introduced a small population which shouldn't have been genetically viable but they overcame the problem and now they only need a small population to survive and breed.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                        If my memory serves me right, they didn't expect them to survive. They introduced a small population which shouldn't have been genetically viable but they overcame the problem and now they only need a small population to survive and breed.
                        It's just like Jurassic Park!
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Plenty of them on the lotty yesterday, in fact we no longer see many native ladybirds. Have watched harlequins at times eating other ladybirds as they pupate.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I have lots in the patch. Didn't realise till now the black ones are harlequins as well

Comment

Yes, I too am talking about harlequin ladybirds, they're everywhere!!
                              ..I've never come across a harlequin beetle as per the link!
                              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X