Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Green with French Beans

Hi,

Over the past week we've had 5kg (11lb) of French beans... for two adults & a toddler! Now I do like beans but not THAT much

After giving some to friends and family and freezing some we still have loads in the fridge and god know how much more to come.

So... does any one have ideas on different ways of preserving them - pickles, relishes, jam(!) or anything else that can be stuck in a freezer so maybe things like soups.

In a trip to an alternate reality I've already seemed to suggest that I'll try making some wine with them

Cheers,

Derek

Oops... just spotted I put this in the wrong section ... could some kind mod please move it to "making the most of" Thanks
    Last edited by mad_djg; 29-07-2007, 08:08 PM. Reason: wrong place
    http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

I don't really like them fresh, so I am leaving mine on plant to dry out, to add to soups, stews, chilli, whatever. You have the work of shelling them all as opposed to picking every day fresh, but its a pleasant job of an autumn evening with a glass of sherry !
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There is a Delia recipe for runner bean pickle in the recipe section I think (or is it on the BBC website?)

I'm just jealous you've got something bean like to eat in any quantity.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Have got a recipe somewhere for them cooked with tomatoes that freezes well and is really tasty. Can't find it at the moment but will try and post tomorrow.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello Mad djg, if you've got as many beans as that you could shell them and freeze the beans. Shell the beans from the pods, spread the beans on a tray, put the tray of beans in the freezer til frozen, tip the beans into a freezer bag and clip closed. Use as for beans. Bean stew is lovely, or make garlic and bean pate. A favourite in this house.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have a recipe for runner bean wine.I dare say it would work with French beans as well.

Comment

I've picked 8 beans so far!!!!

Last year I chopped them with the excess of tomatoes, onions and courgettes, and froze them (chopped)in 1lb bags- perfect on toast for lunch in the winter!!

NO toms this year, and so far just male flowers on my courgettes!!!
              Onions rotting!

Count yourself lucky and tuck in- loads of garlic, cream, crumbled bacon and a bottle of yummy wine.....sorted!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos - your toasty recipe sounds yummy, cant wait to actually get some beans and red toms to try it with!
                Alice - garlic and bean pate? Sounds great, I suspect there's more to it than just mashing into a paste?!
                Mad - what variety are your beans? I'm not doing at all well with mine this year, plants grow but refuse to fruit so far.
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Well Grapes... I found the recipe EB suggested : http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/s...s,1290,RC.html

First lot was processed on the 5th August. Recipe suggested to leave at least a month before opening.... so of course today there was no option... just had to open one.

Fantastic! Sweet, sour, spicy.... we had to stop ourselves eating the whole jar

Now I'm not a stickler for all of the "rules" around food and wine so this may be a total no no to any "expert" out there but I can't wait to try this with some really strong cheese and a glass of vintage port....

Pleased to say we've also got 6 jars worth of the runner bean variety....

Also done some wine as well - it was racked off last week and is now starting to clear - a gorgeous golden colour (probably due to the sultanas added for body).

Mogssue - sorry didn't spot your question before (I read far too quickly). The variety was 'Masterpiece'. Although not F1 seemed to have a very short flowering period but with an absolute mass of beans. I've also got two varieties from the HSL - MR Fearneys purple climbing & brightstone - both seem to have a much more prolonged flowering period but without the massive hit all at once.

Derek
                  http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

Comment

Originally posted by mad_djg View Post
                    The variety was 'Masterpiece'. Although not F1 seemed to have a very short flowering period but with an absolute mass of beans.
                    what's your secret? I sowed three lots of Masterpiece, finally got half a dozen weedy plants off them, all chewed up by slugs. Not a single bean from any of them.Sungold was rubbish too. My Cosse, Barlotta, Canadian Wonder, Cherokee etc are all terrific ...

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      what's your secret? I sowed three lots of Masterpiece, finally got half a dozen weedy plants off them, all chewed up by slugs. Not a single bean from any of them.Sungold was rubbish too. My Cosse, Barlotta, Canadian Wonder, Cherokee etc are all terrific ...
                      I always start my Frenchies under fleece to give them a bit of protection until they are established!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I always start my slugs under fleece to give them a bit of protection until they are established!

Comment

Thanks Derek - may give them a go next year, under the fleece I'm hoping Father Christmas will send me (sorry to use the 'c' word by the way all!).
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X