asparagus care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asparagus care

I've planted up an asparagus bed this spring. I have been very good and not harvested any spears. Most of them have taken well and put up 'leaves'. My question is, what do I do now? Do I leave the leaves to die back naturally or should I cut them down, and if so, when? Also, what, if anything do I need to do to them in autumn/winter?

Any advice on asparagus growing and ongoing care would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Ali

You have been very good indeed at not "Harvesting" must admit, was very, very tempted myself, but abstained!

As you will now see, they will have started sprouting "Ferns" a little unruly and untidy, just tie em in for a little support, trying not to let them flop over and snap, as it is these ferns that are gunna feed and put the goodness back into the "Crowns" for next year.

Come Autumn time, they will begin to "Yellow" at this point, cut it hard back, down to ground level, and under no circumstances compost this material, "Burn It"

Because Asparagus is hollow stemmed, this is where the "Asparagus Beetle" if present will lay it's egg's.

Having done that, mulch with a good layer of well rooted manure, (Make sure it is well rotted) or good homemade compost, and give it real good drink! job done!

Next year you can harvest a few, don't get greedy!

Do exactly the same back end of next season!

Year 3!!!!!!! There all yours!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

^^^ yup! spot on!

Don't forget to put a layer of rock salt and sand on the soil once the stems have been cut back.
      (the stuff you throw on yr paths in the winter to stop you slipping)
      That's a tip I managed to prize out of a professional grower a few years back!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

ooh why nicos?

Comment

Apparently they grow best in sandy/salty conditions...

I also think the salt will help inhibit weed growth in the early years /

I used to put raw seaweed onto my beds.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've had some problems with asparagus beetle on my new bed this year. After chopping off the most affected fronds (covered with grey/black eggs), I've been keeping an eye on the new fronds and squashing any beetles I see. No grubs hatched, but I saw a load on a neighbours plot and they do fly They have a tendency to drop off, so you have to be ready to catch them. I'm hoping the damage has not impacted too much on the establishment of the plants.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X